Post Malone’s New Album Review

Post Malone

Post Malone

Alexys Hairston, Reporter

Post Malone’s New Album Review

Alexys Hairston

With Post Malone’s top 10 album “Stoney” now released a year and a half ago, a new album was long overdue. He released his debut studio album “Stoney” in 2016, which debuted at number six on the Billboard 200. His new album was released on April 27, 2018 and has already exceeded 431 million streams on Spotify and has been named the Most First-Week Streams Ever.

The album features 18 tracks with a variety of different styles and moods. Which is something I feel makes Post Malone standout from other artists. He has a specific style of music but makes sure it pertains to modern day cultural and social issues.

In one of the very distinct songs “Better Now”. Post Malone is singing about an ex- girlfriend who broke his heart and is now saying she is better without him. This type of a song is no secret to fans of Post Malone as he released a song by the title of “Fall Apart” off album “Stoney”, which made its mark on the Top 100 charts for 30 consecutive weeks.

After listening to the entirety of the album I noticed that the tracks on the album differ significantly from his usual nature of songs he produces and releases. With songs son the album such as “Otherside”, “Ball for Me”, and “Takin Shots” all with sounds contrary to the music we usually expect from Malone.

There has been quite a bit of debate surrounding the publication of the new album with listeners questioning if Malone is trying to change his sound to make it more similar to now popular artists and songs. Leaving people wondering if Post Malone will now start establishing his career in rap.

The controversy has now gotten so wide spread that magazine and website Rolling Stone decided to share their opinion on the album calling it a Flexing, Partying, Rich-Sad Bummer. The company later backing it up by saying Post Malone isn’t into labels. “I don’t want to be a rapper,” said the 22-year old in a recent interview. “I just want to be a person that makes music.” As well as saying “Post’s obsession with flexing, partying, and banging groupies feeds a growing paranoia that the people around him only like him for exactly those attributes.”

Despite the massive collection of bad reviews I personally feel that Post Malone is simply starting to branch out from his sound that fans have received from him with his last two albums. I very much enjoy 11 out of the 18 tracks on the album all ranging from rap songs to songs about love and broken hearts.

My personal favorite on the album is “Zach and Codeine” which is number 8 on the rap streaming charts. “Zack and Codeine” references the Disney Channel show The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. The show stars real-life twins Cole and Dylan Sprouse playing the titular twins as they live in a luxury hotel. The hotel motif is apparent on the track, as Post raps about his raging life and the parties he throws in hotels. He is making a relation to his now wild lifestyle to that of Zach and Cody on the now nonexistent show.

Overall, I do think this album is worth listening to reasons being its variety of songs and genres, his unique voice that is like no other artist out now, and for the quality of the sound. I would rate this album a 7 out of 10, 10 being the best. I don’t believe this album is better than his previous album “Stoney”, but it does come very close.

• Post Malone’s New Album Review

Music

Senior Spotlight Caleb Meyer

• Post Malone’s New Album Review

Music

Spring Choir Concert Review

• Post Malone’s New Album Review

Music

Wallows EP Review

• Post Malone’s New Album Review

Music

Vance Joy Album Review

• Post Malone’s New Album Review

Music

The Weeknd Album Review

• Post Malone’s New Album Review

Music

Local Artist Caleb Meyer

• Post Malone’s New Album Review

Arts and Entertainment

Local Musician Sarah Breeding

• Post Malone’s New Album Review

Music

U2 Album Review

• Post Malone’s New Album Review

Music

Billie Eilish: Don’t Smile At Me album Review

• Post Malone’s New Album Review

Arts and Entertainment

Taylor Swift’s New “Reputation”

Post Malone’s New Album Review