Everyday Movie Review

A scene from the movie Everyday, directed by Michael Sucsy.

Sophie DiFrancesco, Staff Reporter

When you’ve seen one young adult film, you’ve seen them all. The same basic plot line repeats every time; girl meets boy, girl and boy fall in love, girl and boy break up, and then girl and boy get back together. There may be a twist such as one of the leads has cancer, but the ending is still extremely predictable, spoiler alert, they end up together. “Every Day,” the adaptation of David Leviathan’s 2012 young-adult-novel, has a capturing original take on the modern young adult love story.

In the film, Rhiannon, portrayed by Angourie Rice, falls in love with a spirit who lives in a different body every day. Never the same person twice, but always around the same location and the same age. Every night at midnight, the spirit, whose name is A, transfers into a different body and has to live that day the best A can for that person.

After A is transferred into Justin, Rhiannon’s boyfriend, A falls in love with Rhiannon and makes the day as Justin extra special for Rhiannon. After midnight hit, just like clockwork, A as Justin is over and A is in a new body. Even though A has inhabited a new body, the mind of A. can’t stop thinking of Rhiannon and all of A’s efforts go to finding her and creating a relationship with her.

Before the films release, it was put out to an eye-opening to pansexuality and gender fluidity but it just missed the mark. With all the hype circling a female lead being able to fall in love with a personality not the body, the whole idea around pansexuality, there was a lot of the plot centered on how she would like being with A more when A inhabited a males body. With the book centering on A’s perspective and the movie around Rhiannon’s, the whole message of not feeling as yourself in a certain body was lost between the lines. With such a well written book, the movie had such potential to be an eye-opening to the general public about sexuality which is mostly avoided, especially in this political climate.

In “Every Day”, the new, modern take on the young adult love story, was refreshing and nothing like I’ve ever seen before. Rhiannon and A’s love is raw and real, and shows the side of love that is not discussed in modern media. The film has opened the door to many more LGBTQ+ films in the future and the open talk to sexuality and all of its many forms.

About the Writer
Sophie DiFrancesco, Editor of the News

Hey guys it's Sophie! Super excited for this year as Editor of the News in Journalism. I am better known at Hidden Valley for my participating in the...