Helping those in need during the holidays

Sophia Clemmer, Editorial Editor

Although most people view the holidays as a pleasant time to enjoy the company of friends and family over a table full of food, it is important to remember that this is not the experience that everyone gets. Less fortunate families and individuals sometimes find the holiday season to generate more stress and hardships. It is around this time when the weather begins to get colder and money tends to become an even greater concern within families who already struggle with it.

Luckily, there is a plethora of programs and groups in place today that help those struggling during the holiday season. At Hidden Valley High School, students and staff are working to provide resources for those in need throughout the season. Cans full of non-perishable foods are collected as well as coats and jackets of all sizes and styles are collection for donation.

Angela Griffin, an English Teacher at Hidden Valley, has encouraged her students to participate in the collection of coats by initiating a competition between her classes. The class to bring in the most coats for donation wins a period of their choice of fun, whether it be a movie, pizza party or even a game day.

“I can remember my grandparents saying, ‘you are only as rich as your poorest citizen.’” Angela Griffin recalled as she spoke on the topic of community involvement with the less fortunate. “It’s important to transport yourself into somebody else’s situation. I think empathy is really important.”

We must remember not to get too wrapped up in the holiday cheer and save time to think about those in need. There are opportunities all around the community, including Hidden Valley High School. Get involved, and help others share the holiday joy this season.