Opioid Awareness Week

Opioid Awareness chart

Opioid Awareness chart

Symphony Jackson, Reporter

March 26th – 29th was about raising awareness about the epidemic that is spreading across the country and in the process taking lives. The opioid crisis has been prevalent in the U.S ever since 1991 when the first wave hit, but it became worse in 2010 and continued to go downhill from there. During 2014, a total of 47,055 drug overdose deaths occurred in the United States, representing a 1-year increase of 6.5%, from 13.8 per 100,000 people in 2013 to 14.7 per 100,000 people in 2014.

“A lot of us know what opioids are and what they do but not enough people know how easy it is to get addicted,” said Amber Rickman (12).

The epidemic has gotten so bad in just Virginia alone that there was a book written about it called Dopesick, and it talks about how many young people in the area have lost their lives to opioids and how it truly can change your life.

During this week teachers including Dr. Neale, Mr. Harris, Mrs. Bush, Mrs. Newbern, Ms. Wagner, Coach Weaver, Coach King, Coach Ponn,  and Ms. Kessler all did something in each of their classes to help bring awareness to their student and to educate them about the dangers of opioids.

“I think that it will definitely make a difference but it will be nice to continue in future years,” said Mr. Harris

Speakers came in to talk to Coach King, Coach Weaver, Coach Ponn, Mr. Harris, Mrs. Bush, and Dr. Neale’s classes to talk to the students. Then the rest of the teachers did activities to educate students about the growing problem in this country.

“I feel that we had 15 % of the faculty participate in opioid awareness week therefore I feel like we reached large amount of the student body however, I think with a little more of the faculty participation next year we could reach the entire student body and expose them to this pressing issue” said Dr. Neale.

About the Writer
Symphony Jackson, Reporter

Hi, my name is Symphony Jackson and this is my second year with Titan Times. I joined the program because I love to write and report people's stories...