Getting in the Christmas Spirit

Spruce Tree branch on Wood Background and defocused lights.

Getty Images

Sophie DiFrancesco, News Editor

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! With Christmas right around the corner, people everywhere are getting into the Christmas spirit. Getting into the Christmas spirit is different for everyone, but here a few ways to amp yourself up for the upcoming 25th of December.

Number One: Spending Time With Your Family

During the holidays, it is always important to reflect and be thankful for what you have around you already, and one of the best ways to really get into that mindset is to spend time with your family.  Whether that be watching movies or ice skating, as long as you’re with them, a good time will find its way into your plans and the Christmas spirit will rise within you.

Number Two: Bake Christmas Cookies

Baking cookies is a tradition that is guaranteed to raise spirits through the stressful season. Store bought cookies are always fun but fully homemade will really put anyone into the Christmas mood. Baking cookies with your friend while simultaneously having flour fights is sure to lift the spirits of everyone around. The only one down side of this is the mess you will most definitely have to clean up afterwards.

Number Three: Listen To Christmas Music

Even though I have always said it is acceptable to listen to Christmas music any time of the year, most people are in the mindset that it is only acceptable after Thanksgiving is finished. No matter when you start to listen, jamming to Mariah Carey’s All I Want For Christmas Is You can make anyone feel like it’s Christmas time. A few of my favorite Christmas songs that I highly recommend to put on your playlist are Santa Baby by Taylor Swift, Santa Tell Me by Ariana Grande, Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley, Mele Kalikimaka by Bing Crosby, and Last Christmas by Wham!.

Number Four: Go Ice Skating

Ice skating may be a lot of work and super hard sometimes, but it is one hundred percent worth it. Falling on the ice might hurt and be cold but it will truly warm your soul during this holiday season. Ice skating is truly one of the best activities to participate in during your winter break because even though you might not admit it, watching your friends fall down repeatedly is one of the best pass times.

Number Five: Watch Christmas Movies

Cheesy Hallmark movies are the best movies of all time. Even though the plot is extremely predictable, the movies still are super heartwarming and sure to make anyone shed a tear. The best part about these movies that is you can watch them with anyone in your life, including friends, family, or even that special someone. Watching movies such as Love Actually or Trolls Holiday is the one way to put you in the Christmas spirit, I guarantee it.

About the Writer
Sophie DiFrancesco, Editor of the News

Hey guys it's Sophie! Super excited for this year as Editor of the News in Journalism. I am better known at Hidden Valley for my participating in the...