The Efficiency Of ISS

Natalie Sowers, Staff Reporter

ISS, we all hate it, but I think everyone has been punished at least once for doing something wrong. However, the real question here is whether the means of punishment actually works or not. Some people would view ISS as a simple slap on the wrists, a quick tap on the behind for eating all the cookies.

“I would say they normally are not doing what they are supposed to be doing and or disrespecting the teachers,” said Mr. Gustavo Ruiz, a Spanish teacher.

Indeed, teachers’ go-to for punishment is the normal ISS, some kids take that slip of paper like candy, always finding another reason to get ISS again. Some people would say that teachers tend to give it out too much and often only end up wasting time that the student could have used to be in the class, especially when the teacher is handing out brand new information.

“I believe it is very effective because it will help the students understand and correct their errors in order to know, and in order to create a better environment in the classroom for learning,” said Mr. Ruiz.

Yes, students must be punished for bad behavior and we need to find ways to do it during school, but taking them out of class while the teacher may be teaching something completely new to the class is in no way effective, some people would say. Others may say that it teaches them a lesson for acting out in class. All of these may be true and are good arguments, although maybe a different approach could be in place to try and make sure that the students are getting all the information so that they do not fall behind in class. Misbehavior must be met with discipline, but it cannot hinder their learning experience.

About the Writer
Natalie Sowers, Staff Reporter

Hiyo! I'm Natalie and this is my first year in Journalism. I'm entering my sophomore year at HVHS and plan on using the time I have in this class to...