Labor Day in the Roanoke Valley

Smith Mountain Lake is such a popular destination for Labor Day that extra safety precautions must be taken.

Ava Wagner, Student Life Editor

Every Labor Day weekend, schools are out and the people of the Roanoke Valley celebrate what feels like the last weekend of summer. This year Hidden Valley students spent their long weekend participating in various activities ranging from cookouts at Smith Mountain Lake to Buchanan’s Sunflower Festival.

The Sunflower Festival was a popular destination for friends and family to visit. Walking between rows of vibrant sunflowers, many Hidden Valley students took the opportunity to take pictures for Instagram. Other festivities at the event included music, craft vendors, wagon rides and food. The festivities took place at Beaver Dam farm and were only five dollars to get in. This popular Labor Day destination drew in many group of friends from schools all over Roanoke County.

“I loved going to the festival because it was really lively and everyone seemed to be having a great time,” said Caroline Harris (10).

Smith Mountain Lake is another popular destination each year. From boat rides to swimming to family cookouts, the lake hosts many different summer activities. Many Hidden Valley students either have summer houses at the lake or rent boats for the day. Although popular year-round, Labor Day is one of the busiest times of the summer to be at Smith Mountain Lake.

“We have a house at the lake and went there over Labor Day for a family cookout. It was relaxing to be able to spend the weekend on the water,” said Kacie Hanson (11).

Hidden Valley students took advantage of various activities in the Roanoke Valley over the 2018 Labor Day break. Sunflower festivals, days at the lake, or just hanging out at home were all relaxing ways to spend the weekend.

“It is nice to have a long weekend at the end of summer because it gives students a break from the stress of school starting,” said Hanson (11).

Ava Wagner, Student Life Editor

Hi, my name is Ava Wagner, and this is my third year on the Titan Times newspaper. I enjoy being in journalism because I have always been interested in...

• Labor Day in the Roanoke Valley

Student Life

The Efficiency Of ISS

• Labor Day in the Roanoke Valley

Student Life

Young Democrats Club and Young Republicans Club

• Labor Day in the Roanoke Valley

Sports

Fall Sports

• Labor Day in the Roanoke Valley

Student Life

Autumn Fashion

• Labor Day in the Roanoke Valley

Student Life

Powderpuff

• Labor Day in the Roanoke Valley

Student Life

Homecoming

• Labor Day in the Roanoke Valley

News

Summer’s New Schedule

• Labor Day in the Roanoke Valley

Music

Spring Choir Concert Review

• Labor Day in the Roanoke Valley

Student Life

Graduating Early: A Good Idea?

• Labor Day in the Roanoke Valley

Student Life

Titan 21 Night

Labor Day in the Roanoke Valley