Summer’s New Schedule

The new calendar shows school beginning on August 13th.

Ava Wagner, Reporter

The feel of summer is in the air and students from Roanoke County are anxious for the last day of school. Less than a week left until exam week begins and students head off to camps, vacations, and various summer places. At this point, a common topic is the fact that the dates for our school year have been rearranged. Lots of students are asking the question of: “what does this mean for our summer?”

While school usually starts back up around August 23rd, this year, it will start ten days earlier than that. Roanoke County students are scheduled to begin the 2018-2019 school year on August 13th. This date shortens summer by about a week and a half.

“It’s almost like as soon as we get out of school we have to go back,” said Hannah Luviano (10).

Some students have had to change their usual family beach week and shuffle dates around for their summer plans. Sports camps have been shifted to about a week sooner than previous summers. Fall sports will have to begin their training earlier. These slight changes will impact summer for all Roanoke County students attending public schools.

“This change in the calendar definitely affects my travel plans for this summer,” said Kellie Hanson (10).

Lots of students seem to be wondering about the benefits of this new schedule as the summer quickly approaches. This schedule allows the first semester to come to a conclusion right before students leave for winter break. Previously, the semester still had about two weeks left in it after winter break.

“I am not sure if I will like this new schedule just because it is so different from what we are used to,” said Sarah Blanton (10).

The obvious benefit of the semester wrapping up before break is that students will not have homework during this time. Many teachers used to assign projects and other types of work to do while on winter break. This possibility will now be eliminated in the upcoming year.

“I like that we will finish the first semester before break because then we don’t have to worry about tests and homework,” said Keegan Manning (10).

The 2018-2019 school year will be a test to see if this new schedule is an improvement for everyone. If everyone can just make it through one short summer, the school year might be better off for it. The last regular day of school is this Friday and then we will be back for our first day on Monday, August 13th.

“Even though I feel like we are robbed from our long summer, I look forward to seeing how next year goes,” said Blanton (10).

• Summer’s New Schedule

News

Kanye has something to say and has no problem showing it

• Summer’s New Schedule

News

The Queen of Soul

• Summer’s New Schedule

News

Reimagine Oak Grove

• Summer’s New Schedule

News

Kelly Café Review

• Summer’s New Schedule

News

Facebook Data Breach Sparks Controversy

• Summer’s New Schedule

News

Help Save the Next Girl

• Summer’s New Schedule

News

Cryptocurrency: How Does It Work, and Is It Worth It?

• Summer’s New Schedule

News

Amtrak Arrival in Roanoke

• Summer’s New Schedule

News

Winter Olympics

• Summer’s New Schedule

News

The Normalization of Sexual Harassment

Summer’s New Schedule