Regional Halloween attractions

Halloween is celebrated on October 31st every year.

Journee Trotter, Reporter

Halloween is an annual holiday, celebrated on October 31st. It began with European roots, originating from the ancient Celtic festival of Samhein. The festival would have the people light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts.

Eventually in the 8th Century, Pope Gregory III designated November 1st as All Saints Day, which incorporated some of the traditions of the Samhein Festival. The evening before was referred to All Hallows Eve, and then later Halloween. Over a period of time, Halloween evolved into activities like trick-or-treating and carving pumpkins.

Around the world there are multiple places that are considered the “spookiest” places to celebrate Halloween. Such as in Mexico for Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, or in Ireland for the Samhein Festival. Even in America, in Salem, Massachusetts where they are most famous for their witch hunting. But the pressing question is: What are good places near Roanoke to celebrate Halloween?

There’s Meeks Manor in Salem, Gallows Dead Oak Hallow in Montgomery, and Scaremare in Lynchburg.

Gallows takes place on the grounds where the Woodson Massacre took place about 40 years ago. Meeks Manor in an indoors haunted house, with the backstory of three sociopaths who have a thirst for blood, and lastly Scaremare has people view death with the underlying question of “What happens after I die?”

“I was somewhat disappointed to have to pay $2 to park, and then another $13 for a ticket, but once I was inside, I appreciated what my money was going toward. The haunted house did not spare a dime on costumes,” Chelsea Giles, staff writer of Collegiate Times, said.

Gallows has different sections of its attractions, including Purgatory, Scarecrow’s Harvest, and Massacre at 266, and Inbred Joe’s Hospitality Shed.

“This is not like your average haunted attractions, room after room of thought out scenes, not just jumping out at you,” the staff writer also said.

Along with Gallows, there is Scaremare. Scaremare is a haunted house that is located in Lynchburg, and that presents people with the question of “What happens after I die?” and with messages of Jesus.

“Very scary, and a good mix of indoors and outdoors and at a good pace,” a local said.

Lastly, there’s Meeks Manor. It is located in Salem, and is one of the newer haunted houses to Virginia.

“Creepy, eerie, and just plain freaky,” another local said.

There are many attractions this Halloween, and these three should be one of your picks!

• Regional Halloween attractions

Sports

Roanoke Junior Rail Yard Dawgs hockey team

• Regional Halloween attractions

Student Life

The Hidden Café

• Regional Halloween attractions

Student Life

Holiday hoopla

• Regional Halloween attractions

Student Life

Roanoke’s annual Dickens of a Christmas celebration

• Regional Halloween attractions

Student Life

A winter dance

• Regional Halloween attractions

Student Life

“Hortus Romanus”…the sequel

• Regional Halloween attractions

Student Life

Non-traditional post-grad plans

• Regional Halloween attractions

Student Life

Senioritis

• Regional Halloween attractions

Student Life

Online class vs. in class

• Regional Halloween attractions

Student Life

New friends, same school

Regional Halloween attractions