New friends, same school

Hidden Valley seniors will be graduating Friday, June 9.

Fiona Miller, Staff Reporter

Decision Day has passed, and with the end of the year coming closer, Hidden Valley’s Class of 2017 is excited about their college choices. This year, dozens of seniors have decided to attend the same college as each other. More than twenty students have chosen to attend University of Virginia, and will spend the next four years with kids from their hometown. Many of these students have been in the Roanoke County Public School system for years and spent their childhood together. While next fall brings a new school, it’ll be full of the same faces.

Many Hidden Valley students applied and competed with each other for spots at the same schools. Hard work and dedication brought many letters of acceptance to these seniors. However, choosing which university to attend is a long process. There are countless factors students need to consider, but do friends play a part in the decision?

“I wanted to go to UVA already because my parents both went there and my sister is there now, so I grew up loving the school,” Rachel Delaney (12) said. While choosing a school her friends were attending wasn’t a priority, Delaney (12) is excited to see her peers attend the same college.

The biggest part of going to a new school is leaving home, friends, and family. With so many seniors attending the same school next fall, the stress of living in a brand-new place is alleviated. Students think that it will be comforting to see familiar faces around campus, especially during the first few weeks.

“I think that it will help me be more comfortable going into it. It might make it easier to go out and try new things if I have people that I already know who are doing those things also,” Delaney (12) said.

For the dozens of other students who will see each other this fall, all can feel comforted knowing their hometown peers will be there too. Whether it’s UVA, VT, or schools across the country, seniors are excited to graduate and attend the college of their choice.

• New friends, same school

Student Life

Non-traditional post-grad plans

• New friends, same school

Student Life

Senioritis

• New friends, same school

Student Life

Online class vs. in class

• New friends, same school

Student Life

Culinary conundrum

• New friends, same school

Student Life

A lack of harvest

• New friends, same school

Student Life

New Years resolutions and celebrations

• New friends, same school

Student Life

Left behind in 2016

• New friends, same school

Student Life

Thanksgiving traditions

• New friends, same school

Student Life

“Hollidazzle”ing the Holidays at Burton

• New friends, same school

Student Life

Welcome the Video Game Club

New friends, same school