Culinary conundrum

An oven gone cold.

An oven gone cold.

John Purcell, Staff Reporter

It has been little over two months since Mrs. Wall broke her leg and had to take a leave of absence bringing the culinary department to a sudden halt. This leave of absence left Mrs. Kinser in charge of running the culinary classes as well as her own making cooking quite difficult for the students of the culinary classes. Without the option to cook, the class became more class work than kitchen work, raising angry feelings amongst the students towards the class and the work they had been doing for the past few months. However, in her recent return hopes for the class have begun to rise as with a second teacher cooking should become much more common in the class.

One of the main things that made cooking difficult to be done in the class was the simple heavy workload and lack of staff to do it. When Mrs. Wall was required to take recovery time she wasn’t allowed to grade any of the assignments or work with her classes until she finished her recovery time. Assignments for the culinary class however, still had to be graded and classes still had to be taught with new assignments that would have to be prepared by Mrs. Kinser as the only teacher capable of that. Along with having to prepare assignments and lessons for her own class she was presented with a huge work load making it near impossible to always be in the kitchen so that the culinary students could cook.

Since cooking couldn’t be done in the class nearly as often as it had before worksheets and other assignments were used much more often to try and replace cooking getting quite the mixed opinion about the work being done in the class by the students. Many of the students were mad because they had become so accustomed to cooking so often in the class and didn’t like that instead of cooking they were making PowerPoints and doing worksheets. Some of the students liked the mundane work, the class become more relaxed and more like an easy class that just came with a larger work load but the majority of the class still felt disdain towards the workload. This prolonged enmity of the new workload made the students of the culinary classes build up quite a bit of dislike towards the class believing that it wasn’t what the signed up for or what they expected to be learning in the class.

These classes of dissatisfied students created a strange situation for substitutes that came in to help Mrs. Kinser by teaching the lessons she came up with for the classes. Although students had no grudge or anger towards the substitutes they were still dissatisfied with the class making it difficult for the substitutes to get some of the students to do their work. This anger towards the class wasn’t all bad however, it prompted the students to hope for their teacher to make a speedy recovery so they could get back to the thing they love doing, cooking. Their reason may sound selfish but it came with good intention of wanting their teacher to come back to teach them more.

The worst part about the increase of class work was the concern of whether or not students were actually learning in the class. Students believed that they were only learning when they were doing hands on work in the kitchen so once they started to do lessons consisting of only class work many of the student simply felt they weren’t learning enough. On the few days that students did cook it wasn’t enough to satiate their appetite for work in the kitchen only leaving them wanting to do more of what the class was meant to be. This left the question, would things be any different once their old teacher returned to her position in the school?

Hopes of change for the better are high in the students as of Mrs. Wall’s return on Thursday, March sixteenth that cooking will return to the class. Not only will the cooking portion of the class just make a comeback to commonplace but possibly even take up a majority of the class as it did in the beginning of the year. Even though many of the students still hold tired feelings of the class fun and enjoyment is beginning to return to the class room and to the students. With their class returning back to normal and the amount of paper work going down the culinary students would like to say welcome back to Mrs. Wall!

• Opinion

Coming to realizations: How I changed from freshman year to senior year

• Culinary conundrum

Student Life

Senioritis

• Culinary conundrum

Opinion

College concepts

• Culinary conundrum

Sports

Spring signings

• Culinary conundrum

Student Life

New friends, same school

• Culinary conundrum

Student Life

A lack of harvest

• Culinary conundrum

News

Wind energy on North Mountain

• Culinary conundrum

Opinion

Breaking valentine’s heart

• Culinary conundrum

News

The Trump effect

• Culinary conundrum

Sports

Sexual assault in college football

Culinary conundrum