“Fall” Sports Come to an End

“Fall” Sports Come to an End

Sarah Arner, Reporter

The Hidden Valley High School’s cross-country and volleyball seasons are coming to an end, but they still have state and other advancing competitions left in April 2021.

This year’s seasons were a little different than previous seasons because of adjustments that had to be made in order to follow the COVID-19 guidelines. Shae Torrence (9) expressed, “There have been a lot of changes this year and I hope there will be a regular season in the fall.”

The fall sports seasons were much shorter this year compared to the length of a regular season in previous years. Sadie Wagner (10) said, “I am not used to the season being short. I definitely prefer cross-country not during COVID-19 because we can have more time to improve at each race.”

This odd season left athletes with less time to practice before games began. Shae commented, “We only had one week of practice before games started and there were four new players, so it was hard to get to know everyone before the season started.” Even though it was not a normal season, Sadie expressed, “I’m still very grateful to even have a season.”

Despite the abrupt changes that were made, both teams had a very good season and won their regional competitions. Sadie said, “I’m definitely excited to be advancing to states!” Shae expressed her enthusiasm about winning regionals by saying, “I was so excited for my team. We have worked so hard and it is so great to see the program continue to win regionals since 2016.”

Although their seasons went well, it is always hard when it comes to an end. Sadie expressed, “I am sad cross-country is ending because I will miss the seniors a lot.”

Even though these sports seasons were played in less than ideal conditions, the players were still able to have a season and make the best of it. Both teams kept up their winning record and have high hopes for next year.