NFL Awards 2020

The NFL Awards took place on February 1st.

Philip Smith, Sports Editor

On February 1, some of the greatest players and coaches attended the NFL awards ceremony at the Adrienne Arsht Center in Miami, Florida, to honor the hard work and dedication they put into the season.

The main awards given out on this night are the Most Valuable Player, Coach of the Year, Comeback Player of the Year, Offensive Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, and Offensive and Defensive Player of the Year.

The winner of the MVP was Lamar Jackson, who was unanimously voted to win the award. This was the first unanimous winner since Tom Brady in 2010, and only second all time. He set the quarterback rushing record for a single season, and led the league in touchdowns. John Harbaugh, his coach, won Coach of the Year.

“Lamar definitely deserved to win the award, he set records left and right and led his team (the Ravens) to the best record in the league,” said Kush Patel (10).

The Offensive Player of the Year went to the Saints’ Michael Thomas, who set an NFL record for catches in one season. The Defensive Player of the Year went to the Patriots’ Stephon Gilmore, a corner who locked down star receivers all season long. The Comeback Player of the Year went to the Titans’ Ryan Tannehill. He became the starter halfway through the season and led the Titans to a playoff berth.

The final two awards were the Rookie Awards. The winner of Offensive Rookie of the Year was Kyler Murray, who was the number 1 overall pick. The winner of Defensive Rookie of the Year was Nick Bosa, who was the Number 2 pick. Bosa was a large reason why the 49ers made it to the Super Bowl.

“Nick Bosa has such sheer strength coming off the end and the way he pressures the quarterback, he always give his team a chance to win,” said Scott Weaver, Head Football Coach at Hidden Valley High School.