FCS National Championship

Back to Article
Back to Article

FCS National Championship

North Dakota State won 28-20.

North Dakota State won 28-20.

North Dakota State won 28-20.

North Dakota State won 28-20.

Philip Smith, Sports Editor

On, Saturday, January 11, James Madison and North Dakota State met in the FCS national championship game in Frisco, Texas.

The North Dakota State Bison came out victorious, 28-20, in a game that came down to the wire.  James Madison was down 8, but they were inside the 5, with under 30 seconds left. The Dukes ran a rub route, and the Bison sniffed it out, and intercepted it, sealing the victory.

“I saw our season flash before my eyes, and heartbreak hit me soon after”, said Brooks Murden (11).

Brooks, a JMU fan, was upset by not only the outcome of the loss, but how it happened. JMU was dominated for a majority of the first 3 quarters, in large part due to the heroics of freshman NDSU quarterback Trey Lance. Lance passed for 72 yards and rushed for 166 with a rushing touchdown. James Madison did gain much traction until the 4th quarter, when they came within two yards and a two point conversion of forcing overtime.

“It was frustrating, because we (JMU) played so conservative, while they (NDSU) was willing to take risks to gout and win the game,” said JV assistant boys’ basketball coach, Ben Munsey.

This quote is proven by several points during the game, the largest being a turning point in the momentum of the action. NDSU lined up for a field, but faked and ran for a touchdown, taking 21-10 lead into the half and leaving JMU in shock.