Kentucky vs Florida

Picture from Kentucky vs. Florida, on the goal line

Journee Trotter, Sports Editor

The beginning of the College Football season has already proven to be full of excitement already. With some of the preseason predictions living up to their standards, and others falling short.

Week 2 started off looking much like the previous week, with most of the predicted dominant teams coming out on top. That is, until the Florida Gators and Kentucky Wildcats faced each other. Florida was coming into the game ranked No. 25 in the top 25, and a winning streak over the Wildcats that was 30 years in the making.

“Florida fell 27-16 Saturday night to visiting Kentucky, ending the Gators’ 31-game winning streak over the Wildcats – the longest active winning streak over an opponent in FBS,” stated Barrett Sailee, a reporter from CBS Sports.

Going into the 2018-2019 season, Kentucky was predicted to have one of its better seasons compared to previous years. Having not won 9 games overall since 1984, predictions were looking for the program to bounce back. Returning 17 starters from last year’s 7-6 team, things were seeming to look up for the Wildcats.

“Kentucky has won a combined 9 straight games against SEC East opponents South Carolina, Missouri, and Vanderbilt… optimism is cautiously high in Lexington for a third consecutive winning season,” said Chris Fisher, reporter for 247Sports.

With a notably talented offense, Kentucky’s odds were looking up for them.

However, Florida, with consecutive SEC title game appearances, head coach Jim McElwain was fired in the 42-7 loss to Georgia. With the SEC appearances, many thought that Florida was starting to return to its once dominant dynasty.

“…the Gators were no better off than when McElwain arrived. In some ways, UF was in worse shape,” stated Reporter Edgar Thompson from Orlando Sentinel.

Bringing in Dan Mullen, former Mississippi State head coach, Florida was looking to revive the suffering program. Having lost 5 defensive starters, Florida’s defense was questionable as to whether it would be effective or not.

Even with the blows to the program, Florida was still the favorite to win against Kentucky. Kentucky had not won against the dominant Gators since 1979; when the Walkman was released, for perspective.

Explanations for the loss range from Kentucky’s productive offense, to how Dan Mullen still needs time to adjust, to the Gators just played badly. Regardless of the theories and allegations, there is one thing that cannot be changed: Kentucky ended the longest active winning streak in FBS history.

While many might not see this as relevant or even important, but it can be taken as a precedent for the College Football season. Is this the season were dynasties are starting to die, or where others are starting to blossom? Predictions and statistics can disprove or prove this, but numbers cannot predict reality.

All in all, I, along with others, are looking forward to what this season brings. Top teams have already fell, and new teams are taking their places.

• Kentucky vs Florida

Sports

Fall Sports

• Kentucky vs Florida

Sports

Young Quarterbacks Taking Over

• Kentucky vs Florida

Sports

Teague steps down

• Kentucky vs Florida

Sports

NFL Debut

• Kentucky vs Florida

Sports

HV Football

• Kentucky vs Florida

Sports

Insider Trading in the NFL

• Kentucky vs Florida

Sports

Summer Workouts

• Kentucky vs Florida

Sports

Titan Tennis

• Kentucky vs Florida

Sports

UVA Gets Dogged

• Kentucky vs Florida

Sports

Girl’s Lacrosse Continues To Strive on the Field

Kentucky vs Florida