Sexual assault in college football

Sexual assault cases involving sports continue to be a problem on college campuses.

Alexys Hairston, Staff Reporter

“Sexual assault is any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Falling under the definition of sexual assault are sexual activities as forced sexual intercourse, forcible sodomy, child molestation, incest, fondling, and attempted rape,” according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

Ten Minnesota Golden Gophers football players have been suspended indefinitely and five on a one year suspension after the alleged rape of a 22-year-old student was brought to the schools attention.

It was said the players started out by flirting with the student and eventually offered to give her a tour of one of the units in the building. A short time later, the girl found herself being sexually assaulted by multiple men, sometimes even more than one at a time.

Due to threats against players from the school they promised to boycott all football activities including the Holiday Bowl until the suspensions were lifted. After the threats were lifted, the players went on to play in the bowl and won.

None of the players have been formally charged because there has been no strong evidence showing that it wasn’t consensual.

“There is insufficient admissible evidence for prosecutors to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that either force was used, or that the victim was physically helpless as defined by law in a sexual encounter,” said Hennepin County prosecutors.

Sexual assault involving student athletes has been an ongoing problem in many colleges. Some of the colleges these events have occurred at include, Baylor, UNC, Liberty, Tennessee, University of Southern California, and Vanderbilt.

Studies by Division I university in the Southeast shows that 54% of US college athletes admit to raping their partners.

“Just as shocking as the above percentage were the harmful attitudes that influenced the sexually coercive behavior,” said Division 1 university volunteers.

Colleges and big name leagues like the National Football League, or NFL,  have been known to cover up sexual assault cases for the sake of their pride and reputation.

For example, the University of Southern California sexual assault case that occurred in 2015 when line-backer Don Hill and line-backer Osa Masina were accused of raping a 19-year-old in an off campus apartment after giving her marijuana, alcohol, and Xanax.

Masina alone assaulted the same woman in his home state of Utah on July 26.

Sexual Assault against college athletes are often times a very controversial subject, but it is something that should be talked about more often.

• Sexual assault in college football

Sports

Joshua Rush throwing his way to states

• Sexual assault in college football

Sports

Spring signings

• Sexual assault in college football

Sports

The contrast between indoor and outdoor track

• Sexual assault in college football

Sports

The rowdy Rousey

• Sexual assault in college football

Sports

NFL playoffs 2017

• Sexual assault in college football

Sports

Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs

• Sexual assault in college football

Sports

Drew Freeland

• Sexual assault in college football

Sports

The Cavaliers continue to strive on the court

• Sexual assault in college football

Sports

Freshman sports experience

• Sexual assault in college football

Sports

Friday night lights

Sexual assault in college football