The rowdy Rousey

Ronda Rousey

Ronda Rousey

John Purcell, Staff Reporter

Ronda Rousey is a name that has been blowing up in recent media for her loss against Amanda Nunes, but how did she get to that point? Ronda first came onto the scene in 2008 when she earned a bronze medal for Judo in the Summer Olympics. This achievement would be followed up by an astounding fourteen win streak (eleven being professional and three of them being unofficial fights) making her one of the strongest women fighters in a long time. Going by the name Ronda “Rowdy” Rousey she climbed her way up the mixed martial arts ladder becoming the famous fighter many know of today.

For a long time the women’s MMA scene hasn’t seen a fighter as prominent and powerful as Ronda Rousey. She was in the prime of her fighting career. With the second shortest knockout time, only one second longer than the record holder Conor McGregor, of fourteen seconds she has proved that she is a strong fighter. This is only backed by her previously mentioned winning streak and her almost constant training regimen with her coach Edmond Tarverdyan.

“Rousey is a complicated and compelling athlete who has proved herself repeatedly in the Octagon, yet finds that she must always keep at it,” states Jessica Luther a writer for Bleacher Report.

Sadly all the rising she did in her early career would only lead to her first fall from grace at the hands of Holly Holms. At the fifty-nine second mark Rousey received a devastating kick to the head resulting in a knockout at the second round.

Mike Chiapetta is quoted saying “Rousey, who was last seen walking out of the cage in 2015 a crumpled heap of devastation.”   This would lead to Rousey leaving the professional fighting scene for about a year before eventually coming back to fight against Amanda Nunes.

Ronda Rousey wouldn’t later return to the ring until December thirtieth 2016 when she came back to fight Amanda Nunes the current Bantamweight champion. Ronda Rousey returned after being challenged as the former Bantamweight champion by the current champion, Amanda Nunes, to Madison Square Garden on December thirtieth. Although this long anticipated fight wouldn’t be as climactic as everyone had hoped when forty-eight seconds into the fight, Ronda Rousey was knocked out by Nunes ending the match instantly with Nunes as the victor. The fight was so devastating to Rousey that after not talking to press for the week leading up to the match, she quickly left the building skipping the customary after match press conference.

Many of Rousey’s fans however don’t believe that it was her fault for losing against Nunes but instead her coach, Edmond Tarverdyan. Many view Rousey’s couch as incapable of teaching Rousey and blame him for the loss as on his advice Rousey relied less on her judo fighting and tried to fight more like a boxer, giving Nunes a greater advantage.

After the UFC 207 post-fight conference Nunes is quoted saying, “I don’t know why he did that. She has great judo and then she can go more forward in this division but he put some crazy thing about her boxing and then her career started like going down.”

Even Rousey’s own mother has doubts about Tarverdyan dating back to her first loss against Holly Holm when before the match she called him a “terrible coach.”

UFC 207 could very well be one of Ronda Rousey’s last fights before retirement but many still hope that she will return from this devastating loss. However, if this loss is anything like her loss against Holly Holm it is unlikely that she will come out of retirement once again at the beck and call of a challenge. All that she has left in the wake of this fight is the shadow of a once powerful and proud fighter reduced to nothing by the powerful Amanda Nunes.

After the fight Amanda Nunes said, “Im the best on the planet” as well as “She’s going to go do movies. Forget about her. She has a lot of money already.”

• Opinion

Coming to realizations: How I changed from freshman year to senior year

• The rowdy Rousey

Student Life

Senioritis

• The rowdy Rousey

Opinion

College concepts

• The rowdy Rousey

Sports

Spring signings

• The rowdy Rousey

Student Life

New friends, same school

• The rowdy Rousey

Student Life

A lack of harvest

• The rowdy Rousey

News

Wind energy on North Mountain

• The rowdy Rousey

Opinion

Breaking valentine’s heart

• The rowdy Rousey

News

The Trump effect

• The rowdy Rousey

Sports

Sexual assault in college football

The rowdy Rousey