Drew Freeland

Drew+Freeland+%2812%29+has+committed+to+Lafayette+University.+

Drew Freeland (12) has committed to Lafayette University.

Journee Trotter, Staff Reporter

The percentage of people playing a sport in college from high school for girls is 3.3%, and the percentage for boys is 3.0%. Numerically, only about 430,000 of an estimated 8 million students in schools will get the opportunity to play sports at the collegiate level.

Despite the low statistics of actually playing sports at a collegiate level, Hidden Valley’s own Drew Freeland decided to commit as a walk-on to continue her basketball career at Lafayette University.

In her junior season, Drew had earned the title of first-team all-state in both basketball and volleyball, and also snagging VHSL group 3A player of the year and first-team All-Timesland.

“It takes the want [drive], and the hard-work to play college sports. It also takes having the resources to communicate with coaches,” said Freeland (12).

Although being offered scholarships from UNC-Ashville and Wofford and the chance to play at Navy, Freeland ultimately declined the opportunity after finding Lafayette to be the right fit for her.

While Freeland had won a state championship in volleyball in late November, she ultimately decided to pursue a career in basketball over volleyball. Freeland had previously stated that she had no preference in either of the sports, but basketball had a “lead in her preference.”

“I really thought that Lafayette was the right fit. I really jelled with the girls and the school is amazing,” she reported in an interview with the Roanoke Times.

Despite the actual number of students that truly get to participate in collegiate whether as a walk-on or on a scholarship, many students want to try to jumpstart their careers to continue playing sports post high school.

“[You] have to decide to want it [a collegiate sports career]. You also have to be 100% in it, and not be half-in,” stated Freeland.

Freeland helps aid to the conclusion that even though the odds are statistically slim for either a male or a female to play sports in college, students can still persevere and overcome the odds.