Climate Change

Back to Article
Back to Article

Climate Change

Sophia Clemmer, Editor, Reporter

The negative altering of the Earth’s climate is a major issue rapidly growing in recognition among the human race. Some take action and help to raise awareness, however others don’t buy into the facts.

“I believe that climate change is a money and power grab, and that the people who are raising awareness about it are doing it for the purpose of controlling others. I don’t buy into it,” said Mr. Nathan Hunt, marketing and business teacher at Hidden Valley High School.

However, what Hunt may not be aware of is that according to NASA’s global climate change program, the Earth’s average surface temperature has risen about 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit since the late 19th century. This may not sound significant, but small changes have big consequences. Levels of carbon dioxide have risen and the atmosphere is being destroyed. Ironically, Hunt believes in the importance that individuals should educate themselves on the subject of climate change.

“I think that a significant amount of the change in Earth’s climate is contributed by corporations,” said Hannah Luviano (12). Luviano is correct; according to the Union of Concerned Scientists, Chevron, a major oil and gas company, funds the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)—an industry group responsible for spreading climate disinformation.

Most people have heard about the polar ice caps shrinking. Data from NASA’s Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment show that Greenland lost approximately 286 billion tons of ice per year between the years of 1993 and 2016. Antarctica lost 127 billion tons of ice on average per year during the same time period. Antarctica’s rate of ice mass loss has nearly tripled within the last ten years. Neha Karandikar, a chemistry and ecology teacher at Hidden Valley High School, believes that humans are at fault for this.

“My hopeful side thinks that we can do something about this, but I don’t know exactly what that something is considering we have to get the entire world on board.

Individuals and groups around the school are working to push recycling and other every day actions that can help protect the Earth.