Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory

mattress firm

mattress firm

Journee Trotter, Reporter

Have you ever wondered why mattress stores are always vacant? Or how they always have sales?

A popular conspiracy theory that developed about mattress stores is that they’re actually money laundering businesses. Not only is it backed up by the fact that owner of these businesses, Steinhoff, is involved in a money laundering saga, but there are multiple warehouses within miles of each other.

A multitude of people have complained about the numerous amounts of stores within such close distances of each other, and a firm even disclosed “accounting irregularities” recently. After a comment on Reddit that claimed that Mattress Firm, the largest mattress retailer in the U.S., was a money laundering business the theory has taken off. The comment has since been deleted and has led people to think that the statement had a semblance of truth to it.

The user wrote,” I remember seeing 4 Mattress Firms all on each corner of an intersection once, and there is no way there is such a demand for mattresses.”

Mattress Firm now has over 3,500 stores after acquiring Sleepy’s in 2015, and Reddit users argue that there are too many given that the stores sell a product that is only bought every 7 or 10 years.

“Multiple stores equal more places to shuffle money between and more sources for fake money to appear to come from,” another Reddit user wrote.

After the theory gaining popularity on Reddit, the CEO of Mattress Firm, Ken Murphy, released an official statement responding to the hecklers.

He claimed that the idea of the business being involved in anything illegal was “absolutely false” and the reason for all of the stores with close proximity was due to the addition of Sleepy’s in 2015. Murphy also added that,”…we remain steadfast in our goal to continue what we do best—help customers find the perfect mattress and get a better night’s sleep.”

Even though the addition of Sleepy’s could aid to the fact that are so many stores, but it doesn’t explain the fact that there isn’t that high of a demand for mattresses. I’ve only replaced my bed twice in my lifetime, and it was only because I could no longer fit in it. So for the CEO to try to make it seem like the demand is booming is ludicrous.

Honestly, I think that this is actually a brilliant idea. What’s better than laundering money in one of the most unsuspecting and innocent business industries? It also makes a good contingency plan because there are so many stores that if they were to get caught, then they could just blame a couple of local stores and get away with clean hands. I’m honestly upset that I didn’t think of it first.

Of course the CEO would deny the money laundering speculations because of the legal repercussions of it, but I’m sure they’re all living comfortable somewhere in Dubai while the FBI looks away unsuspectingly.

• Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory

Opinion

Wrecking the Balance of Power

• Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory

Opinion

The Increasingly Poor Decisions of College Board

• Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory

Opinion

The Unreliable News

• Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory

Opinion

All Day Pizza

• Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory

Opinion

Learning From College

• Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory

Opinion

Do We Really Need Another Celebrity President?

• Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory

Opinion

We Don’t Want Your “Thoughts and Prayers,” We Want Change

• Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory

Opinion

The Importance of Celebrating Women

• Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory

Opinion

Are We Really Adults At Age 18?

• Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory

Opinion

Who’s In?

Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory