The Importance of Celebrating Women

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Importance of Celebrating Women

The logo for International Women's Day.

The logo for International Women's Day.

The logo for International Women's Day.

The logo for International Women's Day.

Sophie DiFrancesco, Staff Reporter

Every year on March 8th, women from all around the world ban together to celebrate International Women’s Day. The day takes place during Women’s History Month and is aimed to celebrate the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women. International Women’s Day’s promotes the agenda of achieving full gender equality for women globally.

The Women’s Rights Movement has been around for as long as time can tell. In the United States, the famous Suffragettes fought for women’s right to vote, starting with one upstate New Yorker named Elizabeth Stanton. Elizabeth Stanton organized the famous Seneca Falls convention in 1848, where she and many other women gathered to discuss the unjust treatment of women in their society. This convention started a nation-wide movement pushing for women’s rights. The first step from Station eventually led to the passing of the 19th amendment in 1920. On International Women’s Day, we celebrate the ladies whom have come before us, making it a nation-wide talk and eventually international for Women’s Rights.

International Women’s Day is the one day of the year that recognizes the value of women in individual communities and collectively to the world. The United States is extremely ahead in the women’s rights aspect than the rest of the world. Countries such as Saudi Arabia, Malaysia, and South Korea, grant their women little to no rights and have some of the highest wage gaps in the world. In the United States, the wage gap is still very real and relevant where we make 79 cents to a man’s dollar, but imagine living in South Kora and making 33 cents to a man’s dollar. As we raise awareness for the unjust treatment of women in the United States, we must almost be mindful of women all around the world struggling with the same issues at greater costs.

Women everyday around the world, fight for their rights including the right to vote, the right for pay, and even the right to get a license. One out of every three women have experience sexual assault, and only 310 cases out of the 1,000 are reported to the police. Out of the 1,000 only 7 of the 1,000 will be convicted of their crime, and from that only 6 will be incarcerated. Sexual violence occurs in every women’s life, almost every woman has a story to tell but because of how frequent and normalized sexual assault is, many women don’t even realized it has happened to them. International Women’s Day, brings attention to the movements such as Time’s Up and is working to erase the normalization of sexual assault and make a difference in governments all around the world.

International women’s Day is used to bring awareness to the importance of women in society. Last year on March 8th, A Day Without Women was held. On this day, women did not show up to their everyday lives, including their jobs and schools, in order to show the impact women truly have. With protest such as the Women’s March becoming very popular among citizens everywhere and organizations such as the United Nations fighting for the rights of women globally every day, the movement for women’s rights is on the top of everybody’s list. Currently only 143 out of the 195 world countries guarantee equality between women and men in their constitution. We will not stop fighting for women until every single one of the 195 countries guarantee the equality for men and women and even if we achieve that in the future, we will always celebrate the accomplishment of the women before us annually on March 8th for International Women’s Day.

Sophie DiFrancesco, Editor of the News

Hey guys it's Sophie! Super excited for this year as Editor of the News in Journalism. I am better known at Hidden Valley for my participating in the...

• The Importance of Celebrating Women

Opinion

Believing Survivors

• The Importance of Celebrating Women

Opinion

Wrecking the Balance of Power

• The Importance of Celebrating Women

Opinion

The Increasingly Poor Decisions of College Board

• The Importance of Celebrating Women

Opinion

The Unreliable News

• The Importance of Celebrating Women

Opinion

All Day Pizza

• The Importance of Celebrating Women

Opinion

Learning From College

• The Importance of Celebrating Women

Opinion

Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory

• The Importance of Celebrating Women

Opinion

Do We Really Need Another Celebrity President?

• The Importance of Celebrating Women

Opinion

We Don’t Want Your “Thoughts and Prayers,” We Want Change

• The Importance of Celebrating Women

Opinion

Are We Really Adults At Age 18?

The Importance of Celebrating Women