The Things High School Taught Me

Meaghan Smith, Co-Editor

Growing up and returning to the same high school for four years in a row teaches you a few things.

The first thing it taught me was that cliques DO exist, and you never really grow out of them. The same cliques stick together throughout high school, which can end up bringing more bad than good to the lives of the members. You tell a secret to one member and by the end of the day, the whole group knows. The only good part about cliques is that they typically stick up for each other if needed.

Second is the fact that absolutely no one acts like their real self at school; it’s nearly impossible to. If you hate people, you hate them a little more while you’re at school. This hatred and introversion can deter anyone else from approaching you, which is probably preferred. Along with that is if you crave attention, you act up a little more than you do at home. Why? Because there’s more attention to be received from the hundreds of people around! Finally, if you’re an extrovert, you’re going to be even more outgoing and loud so more people acknowledge your existence.

Third and finally: No matter who you are, what you do, or how little you speak; someone will always have something to say about you or to you to put you down. If you’re quieter than others, then you’re scary and need to be watched before you hurt someone. If you’re an outgoing individual and go to parties, then you’re a wild child who can’t be stopped. If you’ve had more than one significant other or dress a certain way, then you’re a “whore” or “slut” and need to be stopped. If you’re smart, you’re a goody-two-shoes.

No matter who you are or what you do, you can’t win when it comes to high school. All you can do is tough it out and wait till graduation.

The Things High School Taught Me