Breaking Valentine’s Heart

Love is emotion not money.

Love is emotion not money.

John Purcell, Staff Reporter

Couples all around the world look forward to the long awaited month of love, romance, and all around togetherness. February; or more specifically the long dreaded Valentine’s Day. Many people enjoy and celebrate this holiday every year, even though most of the population doesn’t actually know why it is celebrated or why it even started. The day simply serves as a means for couples to publicly express their feelings of attraction towards each other more than they usually do. Although this seems like a sweet and kind idea, the holiday is ultimately as useless and purposeless as a car with no engine.

They are many icons of Valentine’s Day, but the one that many countries use is a simple card with some sort of cheesy pun or annoying character. This makes the already distorted holiday even blurrier. The seemingly endless amount of cards that are sold for the holiday are one of the contributors to the capitalization of the holiday. Relationships become less and less focused on the emotion one feels for another, and more on how much money one is willing to spend on another. Emotion seems to fade away from the holiday as it becomes consumed by commercial business.

Cards however, can only be blamed to an extent for the capitalization of this romantic holiday as the prices that stores set for these “gifts” are near highway robbery. The price of a box of chocolates can be much pricier on Valentine’s Day than on any other day of the year.

After facing how much the holiday really drains from his wallet Jordan Derosha (12) said, “Its just so pricey, chocolate is forty dollars! For a heart shaped box of chocolates that will be gone in two days!”

This can be seen from brands such as Godiva where a box of “Valentine’s” chocolates can cost fifty dollars, while a normal box can cost thirty-eight dollars and usually have more product for what the consumer is paying.

It isn’t just the capitalistic tendencies of the holiday that makes people really hate the holiday, it can also be the overly zealous couples that are seen during the day. Many couples take the day as a chance to go crazy with their emotions, going over the top with their celebrations, and serving as a constant reminder of what a couple from a cheesy 80’s romance movie looks like. Hallways are littered with displays of romance and emotion while echoing phrases of “I love you” can be heard. The people around you hug and kiss for what feels like forever, serving as a constant reminder to any single person caught on the holiday of what it feels like to be the odd one out.

“I find it stupid because if you like the person you should treat them like that all the time, instead of only on Valentines,” said Katelyn Suttles (11).

The worst part about the holiday however isn’t the money spending or the obnoxious couples, but instead is the lack of knowledge on the actual meaning of the holiday. Ever since the first few letters to the name of the holiday were cut out, many people forgot that St. Valentine’s Day is actually a day celebrating a man who died for his faith, not for romance. St. Valentine was a Roman priest during the reign of Emperor Claudius Gothicas of the Roman Empire. The most common belief of who he was and what happened to him (as many of the records for that time were lost) is that he married Christian men so they would not have to go to war and was imprisoned by the emperor. However, his story does not end there as Claudius the second (still the same man) took a liking to him until he tried to convert the emperor, then he was sentenced to death and was ruthlessly beaten by clubs and stones. After this did not succeed, he was imprisoned where he healed his guards daughter by curing her blindness and was then beheaded, but on the day of his death he left a note to the daughter signed “your valentine” giving us the phrase “from your valentine”.

The worst thing about the holiday however, would have to be how it serves no actual purpose or meaning. Does anyone ever actually gain something or do something productive towards society by celebrating the holiday? It brings people together and shows that romance is still alive, but it isn’t really about appreciating anything in our country or doing anything to help it, not even the Roman Catholics celebrate it, as it was removed from the General Roman Calendar in 1969. In conclusion, this holiday honestly serves no purpose and is simply an easy way for businesses to make a profit off of people. This does not mean it should be cancelled, but perhaps couples should go back to focusing on emotion more than monetary value.

• Breaking Valentine’s Heart

Opinion

The Unreliable News

• Breaking Valentine’s Heart

Opinion

All Day Pizza

• Breaking Valentine’s Heart

Opinion

Learning From College

• Breaking Valentine’s Heart

Opinion

Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory

• Breaking Valentine’s Heart

Opinion

Do We Really Need Another Celebrity President?

• Breaking Valentine’s Heart

Opinion

We Don’t Want Your “Thoughts and Prayers,” We Want Change

• Breaking Valentine’s Heart

Opinion

The Importance of Celebrating Women

• Breaking Valentine’s Heart

Opinion

Are We Really Adults At Age 18?

• Breaking Valentine’s Heart

Opinion

Who’s In?

• Opinion

Coming to Realizations: How I changed From Freshman Year to Senior Year

Breaking Valentine’s Heart