Black History Month

Black History Month is more than just making African Americans look good. It's made to commemorate all the great achievements of the African Americans.

Journee Trotter, Staff Reporter

Though Black History Month has been celebrated since the late 70s, not many people know the real reason why it is celebrated.

The month is designated to celebrate achievements made by African Americans, and according to the History Channel, “recognizing the central role of African Americans in U.S. history.”

Black History Month originated in 1915, though it did not become a nationally recognized celebration until 1976. Harvard alumni Carter G. Woodson and Minister Jesse E. Mooreland founded the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History, or the ASNLH, which commemorated achievements by black people.

The group then sponsored a “National Negro” week in 1926, choosing the second week of February to include the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass. The event caused “schools and communities nationwide to organize local celebrations, establish history clubs and host performances and lectures,” stated the History Channel.

Due to the Civil Rights Movement, the week grew in large scales, and then was finally recognized in 1976 by President Ford. In contrast to popular belief, Black History Month is not just celebrated in the U.S. Countries around the world celebrate it, including Canada and the United Kingdom.

Locally, there are multiple events and/or places that commemorate black history and Black History Month. Such as the Black History Month celebration that took place at John’s Episcopal Church two weeks ago.

A place that celebrates a similar theme, is The Harrison Museum of African American Culture. Located in the Center and the Square Building, the museum focuses on, according to the museum, “promoting, showcasing, and celebrating the art and history of African Americans.”

The last event is the 11th annual Black History Month program that took place this past Saturday at the Walmart in Rocky Mount. The program featured gospel hymns, and a message from a Franklin County board member.

Although there are many events celebrating the month, not many people know a lot about achievements past generations have made, including myself. For example, how the population of African Americans was 4.8 million and in 2007 it was 40.8 million.

All in all, Black History Month isn’t month that is designated to African American’s to make them “special.” Black History Month is made to celebrate the achievements of the African American community, and the continuation of the developments the group has to come.

Journee Trotter, Sports Editor

Hi, my name is Journee Trotter, and this is my third year on the Titan Times staff. I am very excited to take on my new role as Sport's Editor. I play...

• Black History Month

Opinion

Believing Survivors

• Black History Month

Opinion

Wrecking the Balance of Power

• Black History Month

Opinion

The Increasingly Poor Decisions of College Board

• Black History Month

Opinion

The Unreliable News

• Black History Month

Opinion

All Day Pizza

• Black History Month

Opinion

Learning From College

• Black History Month

Opinion

Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory

• Black History Month

Opinion

Do We Really Need Another Celebrity President?

• Black History Month

Opinion

We Don’t Want Your “Thoughts and Prayers,” We Want Change

• Black History Month

Opinion

The Importance of Celebrating Women

Black History Month