Save Your Wallet, Don’t Go Apple

Back to Article
Back to Article

Save Your Wallet, Don’t Go Apple

apples are tasty

apples are tasty

apples are tasty

apples are tasty

Steven Shin, Reporter

Throughout my experience in dealing and working with technology, from low-budget computer parts to high-end production gear, no company has stood out more to me as being the epitome of consumer manipulation and modern marketing than Apple. That is not to say that the Apple products themselves are bad. In fact, Apple does a very good job of creating desirable products that connect with a target audience. Examples of this are Apple’s MacBook line, aimed at light web users, students, and business people, the iMac line, designed for power-users and professional content creators, and the iPhone line, created for the general public and wealthy consumers. In addition, many people seem to be attracted to Apple’s operating systems, preferring macOS and iOS over Windows, Linux, or Android because of their simplicity, familiarity, and reliability. However, just because their products are decent, doesn’t mean there aren’t better options out there.

One of the most common criticisms Apple receives is the fact that their products are overpriced. Many people are fine with this, and enjoy the product anyway because they can afford it. However, the marketing for these overpriced machines seems to target and take advantage of the general, blissfully ignorant consumer.

One example of such is that their promotion page for the new MacBook Pro is riddled with a cunning choice of words and plenty of footnotes. Statements like “It’s faster and more powerful than ever before” may seem very appealing to the average consumer. Furthermore, words such as “groundbreaking”, “revolutionary”, and “ultimate” attempt to present the product as a super powerful PC that is capable of doing almost anything. Yet, upon further investigation, all of their models of MacBook Pros merely pack dual core i5s or i7s, integrated Intel Graphics, and tons of bells and whistles that the average user probably won’t even know how to use. Not to mention the fact that not many companies even support many of the features that Apple is packing into their MacBooks.

For more informed users, this may be completely fine and perfectly suitable for their needs, but these laptops are anything but “groundbreaking” or “ultimate”. In an era where companies like NVidia and AMD are constantly revolutionizing technology to bring high-end performance to consumers, Apple simply removes headphone jacks, USB ports, and escape keys, while launching the prices to the moon.

For the price of $1,499 for the cheapest MacBook Pro, which doesn’t even come with the advertised Touch Bar, one could buy a new, much more accommodating Windows 10 laptop with better specifications for under $700. Just like this, all of Apple’s new products are marked higher in price, despite being objectively less powerful than an alternative that cost the same, and about as powerful as powerful as an option that costs much less.

So, unless you’re financially able to spend large sums of money on these products, and are fine with paying extra for a less powerful machine, whether it be because of familiarity or desire for specific features or designs, opting for a more powerful and/or cheaper alternative can be a much more economically sound decision in most situations.

Steven Shin, Reporter

Hi! I’m Steven, and this is my second year with the Titan Times. I am thrilled to be able to help produce the school newspaper, and I’m looking forward...

• Save Your Wallet, Don’t Go Apple

Opinion

Believing Survivors

• Save Your Wallet, Don’t Go Apple

Opinion

Wrecking the Balance of Power

• Save Your Wallet, Don’t Go Apple

Opinion

The Increasingly Poor Decisions of College Board

• Save Your Wallet, Don’t Go Apple

Opinion

The Unreliable News

• Save Your Wallet, Don’t Go Apple

Opinion

All Day Pizza

• Save Your Wallet, Don’t Go Apple

Opinion

Learning From College

• Save Your Wallet, Don’t Go Apple

Opinion

Mattress Firm Conspiracy Theory

• Save Your Wallet, Don’t Go Apple

Opinion

Do We Really Need Another Celebrity President?

• Save Your Wallet, Don’t Go Apple

Opinion

We Don’t Want Your “Thoughts and Prayers,” We Want Change

• Save Your Wallet, Don’t Go Apple

Opinion

The Importance of Celebrating Women

Save Your Wallet, Don’t Go Apple