Masks Changes

Masks Changes

Rita Faltas, Staff Reporter

On Monday February 28th, 2022, the mask mandate in Roanoke County Public Schools was lifted due to complaints from both parents and students.   

An email was sent out on Sunday February 27th stating that masks would be optional for both students and staff starting the next day. The federal Center for Disease Control (CDC) announced new changes to the COVID-19 orders that affected K-12 schools in the Roanoke area.   

Starting Monday February 28th, masks were optional for students. This was a change from the previous mask policy while indoors that stated masks were mandatory while inside. The change to “optional” was also to give a choice to these who do not feel comfortable enough to take it off yet.  

Are these new masks orders safe you may ask? Wearing masks is still encouraged by the CDC all throughout Virginia. In the United States, there have been 79,329,689 total COVID-19 cases in the past 30 days, 556,980,091 total vaccines administered, and 946,774 total deaths due to COVID-19 in the past 30 days. Even though the vaccination is the leading public health prevention strategy to end the pandemic, not everyone has been vaccinated. Ultimately, it is up to individuals to determine for themselves if they feel safe not wearing a mask.  

In conclusion, the new optional mask mandate has made an impact on both students and staff members in Roanoke County Public Schools. Even though wearing a mask is now optional in schools, the CDC website still recommends that masks should be worn while being indoor and a 3 feet distance between students regardless of their vaccination status to help prevent the spread of COVID.