A Crisis in Afghanistan

Tyler Duffey, Staff Reporter

The nearly 20-year-long Afghan War ended on August 30th, 2021 when American troops were pulled out of Kabul, Afghanistan, the nation’s capital. They abandon weapons, equipment, service dogs, and left American soldier’s stranded in Afghanistan under the new rule of the Taliban.

The Afghan war started on October 7th, 2001, shortly after the terrorist attack on September 11 that was carried out. These terrorists were known as al-Qaeda, led by Osama Bin Laden, the attack on the world trade center in New York, New York in 2001. This attack brought Americans together and was a very patriotic time in American history. Bin Laden was under protection in Afghanistan by the Taliban who dictated the country at the time, eventually he would be killed on May 2nd, 2011.

However, before and after his death there was an ongoing war in Afghanistan, American forces were keeping the Taliban at bay and protecting the Afghan people. For years, Americans had been trying to aid and train the Afghan military to one day be able to protect themselves. On August 30th, 2021, President Joe Biden abruptly pulled American forces out which cause the Taliban to overtake the American Embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan, essentially ending the war and handing Kabul to the terrorists.

Leaving so suddenly, caused chaos with the Taliban coming in, and our military coming back home. Weapons, equipment, service dogs, and even Americans were left stranded in the nations capitol with the Taliban having full control over them. The Taliban has already considered this a victory and has been seen recreating special American historical events such as the raising of an American flag in Iwo Jima from 1945.

Slate Semones (10) says “No, it was not a good option to pull out because we could’ve kept the Taliban away and kept Afghanistan safe as well as not give them all of our equipment. I feel like the Taliban could try something like 9/11 but on a much greater scale, I do fear for our future if this problem becomes greater than just a Middle Easter issue”.

The future is uncertain for the Middle East and possibly the entire world, terrorists are unpredictable and strike fear in the hearts of many people across the world. Many people do not agree with Biden on this, but some do.

Slate and another student, Camden Phillips (11) highly disagree with his actions “Biden has really messed up this time, he handed Afghanistan and all our equipment to the Taliban at the cost of good people’s lives. I do not agree with Biden on this, his actions were not thought out enough, he should have waited and made it known he was leaving so people could prepare and evacuate”.

Afghanistan is in trouble because of this but the world could be in danger now that the Taliban has an entire country and military equipment.