Coronavirus: The Age of Fake Vaccination Cards

CDC COVID-19 vaccination record card

John Taylor, Reporter

Two weeks ago, Illinois woman flew to Hawaii using a fake “Maderna” vaccination card.

Chloe Mrozak (24), of Oak Lawn, Illinois, was arrested at the Daniel K. Inouye International Airport in Oahu, Hawaii and was held at the Honolulu Police Department after being accused of using a fake COVID-19 vaccination card.

Mrozak alleged attempt to bypass the state’s mandatory quarantine during a trip to Hawaii could have her face up to a year in prison as well as a fine of up to $5,000 if she is convicted.

Mrozak’s vaccination card reads “Maderna” instead of “Moderna.”

When asked what Carter Crouch (15) thought of this story he responded sarcastically, “I think she could’ve worked on her spelling more.”

But an attempt at avoiding quarantining during a vacation isn’t the only reason people are using fake vaccination cards.

In another case, a new kind of ID is appearing on college campuses across the country.

College officials are spotting fake vaccination cards pop up at colleges across the U.S. in the use of dodging situations in which class registration requires a student to be vaccinated.

“The fake vaccination market feels like the modern-day cottage industry.” Said William Taylor  (20), a current student at Virginia Western Community College.

The growing concern has caught the eyes of the FBI and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Making or buying a counterfeit card violates federal laws and for the past few months, the FBI has been warning about the penalties of owning a fake vaccination card. Today, the penalty is a fine, imprisonment of up to five years or both.

Despite all the attention fake vaccination cards have received the country wide stories continue. Just last week, three Vermont state troopers resigned after being accused of possessing a fake vaccination card.

The age of fake vaccination cards ensues.