Mamba Forever: Kobe Bryant

Symphony Jackson, Reporter

On Sunday January 26th of 2020, nine people got into a helicopter in Calabasas, California and did not make it out alive. One of those nine people was former Lakers basketball player, Kobe Bryant. Bryant along with Payton Chester, 13; Sarah Chester, 45; Alyssa Altobelli, 14; Keri Altobelli, 46; John Altobelli, 56; Christina Mauser, 38; Ara Zobayan, 50 and last but not least Bryant’s 13 year old daughter Gianna Bryant. The death of all 9 is a travesty, but the death of Kobe Bryant devastated the world.

“Kobe Bryant was more than a legend, he impacted many people outside of basketball. He was a motivational speaker and helped out in his community and just people over all. He was much more than a basketball player,” Robert Lewis (11)

Bryant was born on August 23 of 1978 in Philadelphia Pennsylvania, and was a professional basketball player. He entered the NBA straight out of high school and played 20 seasons for the Los Angeles Lakers. He won five NBA championships and was an All Star 18 times. He also was named the 2008 NBA MVP and won two NBA Finals MVPs. He comes in fourth on the basketball league’s all-time regular and postseason scoring lists. Bryant was named a legend by many and most call him one of the greatest, if not the greatest player of all time.

“Just based on his legacy, I think the impact and the outcry that has happened since his passing, has shown his impact on the community. Take the Oscars for example, we saw that Spike Lee wore a tuxedo that had Bryant’s jersey number on it and that just shows his impact not only on the sports arena, but also he reached further than that. I think that was something that many of us were not aware of his commitments to the community and to things that were outside of the basketball world,” said Lori Wimbush head principal.

Bryant was something to everyone and he will be greatly missed, but forever be kept in the minds of all who loved him. He left behind a wife and three kids, but he also left behind a legacy that will never be forgotten.

Sources: cnn.com, biography.com