Government Investigations Make the Future of Juuls Unclear

Pixaby

Parker Rhee, Reporter

First they were hailed for creating what was seen as innovative and exciting way to help adult smokers quit using products such as cigarettes. Then, some started to raise concerns that they had marketed their products with the aim of appealing to a younger generation.

Juul Labs has based its entire business on the idea that electronic cigarettes are better for people’s health than normal tobacco leaf products. But after over 400 hospitalizations were linked to vaping by the Centers for Disease Controls, the Food and Drug Administration sent a letter to Juul asking for information on the safety of their product and the Trump administration ordered Juul to stop selling its mint, crème, mango, and cucumber flavored ‘pods’. Many people have raised concerns that these pods, packets that contain the nicotine salts and flavors that are inhaled be the user, are more appealing to younger persons because of the variety of flavors they come in, which is one of the reasons the president ordered Juul to pull its flavored pods off of the market.

But that’s not the only problem people have with its pods. “I think one of the big problems with Juuling is that you can manipulate it more than you can traditional cigarettes,” said Mrs. Wimbush, the principal.

The CDC shares her opinion. As of November 20, 2019, the CDC has linked over 2,290 cases of severe lung damage requiring hospitalization to the use of e-cigarettes, and they have proposed that an additive called vitamin e acetate was what caused the hospitalizations. Unlike traditional cigarettes, the pods that are used in e-cigarettes can be messed with, and dangerous additives like vitamin e acetate can be added to give the user a high.

Because these cases have not been conclusively linked to e-cigarette products that were used correctly, some users may not be fully convinced of any potential danger.

“I think that if the name brand Juul Company could come out with conclusive evidence that shows that their users are being affected by these products, then students would realize that these products are a problem. I think that a lot of students are getting the name brand products, whereas in the news we see that these people who are getting sick are getting the off brand products, so it would go a long way if Juul would come out with research than kids would understand that it’s a scary thing, and that they could wake up one day not being able to breathe because you have been breathing in so much metal, nickel, all of those things from a product you thought was safer than cigarettes,” said Ms. Haley Atkins, an English teacher.