Government Shutdown Update

United States federal government stalemate due to spending bill disagreement with the left and the right.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Sophie DiFrancesco, News Editor

Lasting 35 days, the most recent government shutdown was the longest in United States history. The shutdown began over disagreements over President Trump’s proposed US-Mexico border wall funding. The government stayed shutdown over the Christmas holiday until January 25th, when Trump signed a measure that would temporarily reopen the government until February 15th.

With the government reopened, Trump was able to present his State of Union address and even bigger, declare a nation emergency in order to secure funding to build the wall at the southern border. This declaration allowed the government to remain open but has caused many against the wall to be very upset. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) announced that they are going to file a lawsuit against President Trump’s national emergency declaration.

“By the president’s very own admission in the Rose Garden, there is no national emergency. He just grew impatient and frustrated with Congress, and decided to move along his promise for a border wall ‘faster,'” said ACLU Executive Director Anthony Romero in a statement.

The US House of Representatives has voted to revoke President Donald Trump’s emergency declaration over building a US-Mexico border wall. Trump, who originally declared the national emergency, stated he would veto the bill. Even though a few Republicans have sided with Democrats in rejecting Trump’s national emergency, Congress would not have the tow-thirds majority in order to override a veto from the President. Democrats have said that the declaration is unconstitutional and the emergency has been manufactured by President Trump.

“This isn’t about the border. This is about the constitution of the United States. This is not about politics. It’s not about partisanship. It’s about patriotism,” said Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.

With all going wrong, at least the government is open and departments running. Even with the two houses becoming further dived every second, at least government workers are being paid. All we have left for the United States is hope, and at this point, even that is running low.

About the Writer
Sophie DiFrancesco, Editor of the News

Hey guys it's Sophie! Super excited for this year as Editor of the News in Journalism. I am better known at Hidden Valley for my participating in the...