Political Polarization Problem Polling Project

A surprising result was that 50% of our sample disagreed with abortion, even though only around 40% were Republican.

Andrew Porterfield, Editor-in-Chief

In recent years, the political climate of the United States has been polarized into two perceived competing factions. However, we were doubtful that this was as major a problem as the media portrays it to be. With this doubt, we conducted a poll amongst the student body to see if ideas were actually polarized.

First, we created a Google Form with our questions to allow for simple and easy data analysis. Then, we went out into the hallowed halls of Hidden Valley and conducted our poll. We asked about grade level first, as we needed to meet a quota for each grade (5) to be representative of the entire population. Finally, we asked the rest of our poll questions.

10 out of 22 of our sample were Democrat, while 8 out of 22 were Republican and 4 out of 22 were Independent. This means that 45% were Democrat, 36% were Republican, and 18% were Independent. 5 out of 11 were Democrat, 4 out of 11 were Republican and 2 out of 11 were Independent.

5 out of 22 were freshmen, 5 out of 22 were sophomore, 6 out of 22 were juniors, and 6 were seniors. This means that both sophomores and freshmen comprised of 23% each of the data and seniors and juniors comprised of 27% of the data each.

When asked about if there should be a wall at the border, 60% said no, 27% said yes, and 9% didn’t care. 14 out of 22 said no, 6 said yes, and 2 said they didn’t care. 3 out of 11 said yes, 7 out of 11 said no, and 1 out of 11 said that they didn’t care.

50% of our sample believed that abortion should NOT be legalized, which is surprising since only 36% were Republican.

77% of our sample believed that marijuana should be legalized, which makes sense because our sample was comprised of high-schoolers.

12 out of 22 students believed that Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh should not have been confirmed into the highest court in the land.

These results in and of themselves aren’t too revealing, but when you consider the fact that both Republicans and Democrats answered in a nonstereotypical way to these questions, it reveals that polarization isn’t a major problem among the student body at Hidden Valley.

A source of bias is obviously that we only had 20 responses, making it difficult to entirely represent the entire student body. We also didn’t have an equal amount of Democrats and Republicans.

• Political Polarization Problem Polling Project

News

Kanye Has Something to Say and Has No Problem Showing It

News

The Queen of Soul

News

Summer’s New Schedule

News

Reimagine Oak Grove

News

Kelly Café Review

News

Facebook Data Breach Sparks Controversy

News

Help Save the Next Girl

News

Cryptocurrency: How Does It Work, and Is It Worth It?

News

Amtrak Arrival in Roanoke

News

Winter Olympics