Amtrak arrival in Roanoke

The Amtrak rail service arrived in Roanoke last October.

Aaliyah Tribble, Reporter

At the end of last October, the Amtrak railroad started transporting passengers all around the Eastern United States. Since then, many people have taken the train to places like New York, Washington D.C., and more.

For a long time, the passenger railway service was in Roanoke. In 1979, it was announced that the service would no longer be available in Roanoke, only in Lynchburg. Its return in October ended the nearly 40-year hiatus.

Fiona Miller (10), rode the Amtrak over winter break on a family trip to New York City. She had a pleasurable experience while riding.

“[The ride] was around eight hours. All of the stops in Virginia made the ride a lot longer, but after Washington D.C., it was pretty much straight to New York,” said Miller (10).

The train has a first class, similar to a plane, but one can sit in any seat in any car, as long as it is the right section. The interior is designed similar to a plane, as well.

“Each cab had two columns of seats. The seats were sort of like airplane seats with fold-down desks. Each train has a dining car where they sell food, and that car has wide tables for people to work and eat,” said Miller (10).

Olivia Sodre (11), rode the train up to Washington D.C. one weekend in January. She enjoyed her experience with the train as well.

“My favorite part was how fast it was compared to driving. I’d say my least favorite part were all the stops on the way and the crying babies on the train,” said Sodre (11).

Both Sodre (11) and Miller (10) said they would recommend taking the train as opposed to flying or driving. They said that they hoped to be able to ride the train again at some point in the near future.

“I’d much rather ride the train than fly or drive. It was much faster than driving, and you don’t get carsick on a train. While taking the train is longer than flying, the train was much more pleasant and we didn’t have to worry about checking our bags and such,” said Sodre (11).

• Amtrak arrival in Roanoke

News

Help Save the Next Girl

• Amtrak arrival in Roanoke

News

Cryptocurrency. How does it work, and is it worth it?

• Amtrak arrival in Roanoke

News

Winter Olympics

• Amtrak arrival in Roanoke

News

The normalization of sexual harassment

• Amtrak arrival in Roanoke

News

Collegiate crime

• Amtrak arrival in Roanoke

News

Wind energy on North Mountain

• Amtrak arrival in Roanoke

News

Russia and NATO

• Amtrak arrival in Roanoke

News

Trump’s new policies

• Amtrak arrival in Roanoke

News

The Trump effect

• Amtrak arrival in Roanoke

News

New supreme court justice

Amtrak arrival in Roanoke