Russia and NATO

The Russian and NATO flags.

The Russian and NATO flags.

Aaliyah Tribble, Staff Reporter

Dead troops. Injured protestors. This and more has happened in Ukraine with Russia’s support. Now, NATO has called upon Russia to stop the violence in Ukraine.

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization, or NATO, is an alliance of twenty eight countries designed to safeguard the freedom and safety of its members through military and political means. Founded in 1949, NATO consists of countries in Europe and North America and partners with countries all throughout the world.

The violence all started in 2014 when Ukraine was outraged when its leader refused to sign an agreement that would have let the European Union give Ukraine funds. This led to the Pro-Russian president. In response to the ousting, Russia sent in troops to Ukraine and annexed the peninsula of Crimea. This territory has been fought over the past few years, and that has led to lots of violence.

Lots of violence has happened in Ukraine. The government has shot and killed protesters, troops have died in battle over Crimea, and other types of bloodshed have happened.

Ukraine and NATO have accused Russia of providing support to Ukraine’s enemies that have killed more than 10,000 people since 2014. Russia has since denied their involvement.

Jens Stoltenberg, Secretary General of NATO, has called upon Russia to stop. “We call for an immediate return to ceasefire. We call upon Russia to use its considerable influence over the separatists to bring the violence to an end.” Stoltenberg said in an announcement in Brussels, the capitol of Belgium.

Whether Russia will stop the violence in Ukraine remains to be unseen. However, if they wish to remain on good terms with NATO, then they should stop.

• Opinion

Coming to realizations: How I changed from freshman year to senior year

• Russia and NATO

Student Life

Senioritis

• Russia and NATO

Opinion

College concepts

• Russia and NATO

Sports

Spring signings

• Russia and NATO

Student Life

New friends, same school

• Russia and NATO

Student Life

A lack of harvest

• Russia and NATO

News

Wind energy on North Mountain

• Russia and NATO

Opinion

Breaking valentine’s heart

• Russia and NATO

News

The Trump effect

• Russia and NATO

Sports

Sexual assault in college football

Russia and NATO