Next Generation of Debate Team

Back to Article
Back to Article

Next Generation of Debate Team

Last year the team swept the regional competition, taking first in all categories.

Shreyas Gullapalli and Philip Smith

Do you love arguing? Do you like to always be right? Then, Hidden Valley’s Debate Team might be the place for you then. This year the team is aiming to grow its numbers and take on their longtime rivals, Cave Spring.

Debate is an intense competition that requires a lot of dedication.Students are asked to research and prepare arguments for different sides of controversial issues and then put their skills to the test against opposing competitors. In the end, the best speakers win.

A major goal for team this year is improving on what they’ve done in years past. The team has high expectations, with the goal of bringing home a state championship this year.

“We’ve always sent people to the state competition, and they have them done well, but this year we’re looking to send more than ever before and win the championship as a school and not just as individuals.” said Shreyas Gullapalli (12) a captain of the team.

It will be a close competition though, with Cave Spring also fielding a strong team.

“I’m  kind of optimistic… Their PF teams are former state champions, but I fully believe in our team.” said Nabeel Raza (12), another captain of the team.

When asked why he joined the team, Raza (12) said  “I chose to do Debate because I’ve always been interested in improving my argument  and public speaking skills. I’ve always been argumentative as a person, so I felt it would match  my natural tendencies.”

The team is also looking to the future.  “We want to build a strong team and encourage underclassmen to join so that they can learn from the older students with more experience as someday they can take over and lead the team,” said Ms Ebel, the team’s sponsor.

About the Writers
Shreyas Gullapalli, Op-Ed Editor

Hello world, my name is Shreyas, as you’ve probably already seen above. This will be my second year working on the newspaper, although I'm a senior....

Philip Smith, Staff Reporter

Hi, I'm Philip Smith, and this is my first year on the Titan Times newspaper staff. I enjoy playing basketball, baseball, and soccer. I play basketball...