The Weeknd Album Review

My dear melancholy

My dear melancholy

Journee Trotter, Reporter

After dropping his album, Starboy, in 2016, fans around the world were waiting for The Weeknd to release new music. After teasing on his twitter about a new project titled, My Dear Melancholy, he dropped it on March 30th.

The album has 6 songs and an underlying tone that has a blend between his old mixtapes and his recent pop albums. After releasing Starboy his fans were expecting his new tone of pop and an upbeat tone, but instead got a glimpse of the beginnings of his career. The album depicts The Weeknd’s troubles in relationships, and his coping mechanisms for them.

The first song on the album, “Call out My Name”, a ballad depicting his former relationship with Selena Gomez. The song sampled on his early hits, “Earned It”, along with a piano-driven beat. Opening the song with “We found each other, I helped you out of a broken place, you gave me comfort, but falling for you was my mistake,” the Weeknd also address how he helped with Gomez’s battle with Lupus.

The following lyrics of the song were rumored to depict The Weeknd’s feelings towards Selena getting back together with her ex, Justin Bieber. Arguably the most talked about lyrics of the song, “I almost cut a piece of myself for life,” created a stir in the social media world. Fans came up with the theory that he was referring to how Selena needed a new kidney due to her Lupus diagnosis, and The Weeknd was going to give it to her.

These allegations were never confirmed, but considering the hints about the song being about, it only leaves the listener to make their own speculations.

The rest of the songs on the album follow the same recurring theme of The Weeknd dealing with his emotions and heartbreak.

In my opinion, this is one of The Weeknd’s best albums. Not only is he touching back on his earlier musical roots of his previous mixtapes, but he’s also allowing his viewers to see something that they haven’t before; The Weeknd being heartbroken.

All in all, with the added addition of The Weeknd being on the opposite end of the love spectrum, it made My Dear Melancholy one of The Weeknd’s greats. I personally like this album, and I hope that everyone else who listens to it, likes it as well.

About the Writer
Journee Trotter, Sports Editor

Hi, my name is Journee Trotter, and this is my third year on the Titan Times staff. I am very excited to take on my new role as Sport's Editor. I play...