Taylor Swift’s New “Reputation”

A copy of the

A copy of the "Reputation" CD and the two "Reputation" magazines released exclusively at target.

Sophie DiFrancesco, Staff Reporter

On November 10, 2017 after three years of waiting, Taylor Swift released her highly anticipated sixth studio album, Reputation. Reputation has fifteen tracks which explore a more EDM style of music, but still based majorly in the pop genre. The album takes you through a story, from start to finish, showing a new side of Swift the world has never seen before.

Reputation includes the #1 Hit Single “Look What You Made Me Do,” which was released on August 24, 2017 after Swift blacked out all of her social medias,  hinting that she was starting new. “Look What You Made Me Do,” is very different from her previous music, in the sense that it drifts away from the “America’s Sweetheart Taylor swift” image. Swift uses the song and music video to make jabs at the media and rumored Kayne West and Katy Perry drama.

Reputation opens with the single “…Ready For It?,” which has been used to open ABC’s College GameDay. From the start of the album, Swift’s newer style is clearly heard, having a loud bass in the track. “…Ready For It?” begins with Swift rapping and leads into a poppy pre-chorus with a more 1989 style of singing.

Swift worked with Grammy winning producers Max Martin, Marx Shellback, and Jack Antonoff to create Reputation’s new sound. With songs such as “I Did Something Bad,” and “Don’t Blame Me,” Swift plays the angle of her being the initiator of situations as she is commonly perceived as the victim.

Selling over 1.2 million copies in its first week, Reputation, became the highest selling album of 2017. This made Swift the only artist to ever have four albums sell 1 million copies in its first week. Reputation has so far been highly acclaimed by critic with a 71 rating.

Reputation includes features by Ed Sheeran and Future on the second track “End Game,” which had fans excited to hear Swift’s second collaboration with Sheeran and to hear her first with Future. “End Game,” explores the genre of rap even further than Swift’s previous collaboration with Kendrick Lamar on “Bad Blood.”

Even though fans, including myself, were surprised to hear Swift take on a new style of music, we heard songs such as “Getaway Car,” and “New Year’s Day,” which showed them that the old Taylor was still very much there and not dead as she said in “Look What You Made Me Do.” Those songs centered on the pop vibe that fans were used to from the 2017 Album of the Year 1989. Even though the new album wasn’t like her previous, I still thoroughly enjoyed Taylor’s new take on music. My favorite songs on the album were “Getaway Car,” “Delicate,” and “Don’t Blame Me.”

Reputation has been released in stores as a hard CD, and Swift has made 2 exclusive magazines sold at Target with pictures, lyrics, paintings, and poems included so fans can see what Swift was up to when she was on her break. In Reputation’s prologue Swift writes “When this album comes out, gossip blogs will scour the lyrics for the men they can attribute to each song, as if the inspiration for music is as simple and basic as a paternity test. There will be slideshows of photos backing up each incorrect theory,” telling the world this album is not theirs to take and make rumors about but it is about the music and the story behind it.

About the Writer
Sophie DiFrancesco, Editor of the News

Hey guys it's Sophie! Super excited for this year as Editor of the News in Journalism. I am better known at Hidden Valley for my participating in the...