A lack of harvest

Dr. Spence's Roman Gardens.

Dr. Spence's Roman Gardens.

Sadie Hayes, Reporter

Three years ago, Latin teacher Dr. Tim Spence started his Hortus Romanus, or Roman Gardens, but recently, the gardens have been dying.

“The seniors this year, when they were sophomores in my Latin 3 class, got the cinder blocks and top soil and started the Roman Garden’s then,” said Dr. Spence. “Last year, it did not work so well. I tweaked it a little bit so this is the 3rd year doing the Roman Garden’s but really only our 2nd active year.”

For Latin 3, the Roman Gardens were considered a participation grade. They went out every class to work on it.

“He made it so if we went out and worked on it we got a grade for going out to work on it,” said student Riley Assaid (12).

So then why are the gardens dying? Is it because of the weather? People not caring about it anymore? Student Holden Hurt (12) shares his opinion.

“We were out there pretty much every single class doing stuff and I don’t see people [now] out there as much,” said Hurt (12).

Dr. Spence has a different thought on why his gardens aren’t doing so well.

“I think [it was] a lot of variables,” said Dr. Spence. “I tried last year with Latin 1 students and since it’s a new concept, and I haven’t thought out all of the verifications, and I was dealing with younger, not necessarily as motivated students, I think the combination of those two was probably what hindered it last year.”

Senior Celia Harding was part of the documentary team and shared her part in creating the Roman Gardens.

“There was levels [to it],” said Harding (12). “We had to come up with a script, we had to take the videography, then we had to edit and clip the videos together and the audio. Personally, I think I put a lot of work into it, but I haven’t really gotten a chance to be in other classrooms.”

There are plans to get greenhouses so he can grow throughout the winter. He has an Eagle Scout group who will bring a better water system for the summer months and throughout next year.

“Where I want it to be at is much farther than where it will get this year or even next year. I have a large vision for it, but certainly we’ve got 4 beds now that are active, we have 12 beds total,” said Dr. Spence. “Hopefully by the end of May, all 12 beds will be productive and producing greens.”

Dr. Spence wants to take his garden to different levels and make them more powerful. He has his doubts, but he thinks he can get it to where he wants it.

• Opinion

Coming to realizations: How I changed from freshman year to senior year

• A lack of harvest

Student Life

Senioritis

• A lack of harvest

Opinion

College concepts

• A lack of harvest

Sports

Spring signings

• A lack of harvest

Student Life

New friends, same school

• A lack of harvest

News

Wind energy on North Mountain

• A lack of harvest

Opinion

Breaking valentine’s heart

• A lack of harvest

News

The Trump effect

• A lack of harvest

Sports

Sexual assault in college football

• A lack of harvest

News

Influential lives we lost in 2016

A lack of harvest