A Hidden Valley love story

Morgan Routt, Staff Reporter
October 27, 2011
Filed under Student Life

These two teachers have their own Hidden Valley love story. They would never have met if it weren’t for their teaching careers. Even though Mr. Scott Weaver and Mrs. Laura Pitotti Weaver both went to Virginia Tech, they didn’t connect until 8 years ago, when both were hired as beginning staff.

If it weren’t for their sneaky freshman classes that first year, they may not have gotten together.

“The first week of school in 2004, we had kids in classes that tried to set us up, his 9th grade PE class and my 9th grade history class,” Mrs. Weaver said. “It wasn’t love at first sight. I stood him up on the first date because I was still living in Blacksburg, even though he would have driven to come get me. Once we actually did go on a date, he turned out to be a nice guy.”

Seeing your spouse at work tends to be a little awkward, but for the Weavers…

“It doesn’t bother me to see Scott. We don’t really see each other; I mean it’s not awkward or anything. Kids made it more awkward when we were dating but since we’re married, it’s legit,” said Mrs. Weaver.

According to Mr. Weaver, “It’s not really weird seeing Laura, because we don’t speak when we see each other.”

Mr. Weaver and the then Ms. Pitotti dated for 18 months, and then got married on June 30, 2007. Now Mr. and Mrs. Weaver have two daughters, Addison, 2 ½, and Avery, 4 months.

“I would like to have two more kids but I know Mr. Weaver put the smack down with only one more,” Mrs. Weaver said.

For the Weavers, football season is the most hectic time of the year. Mr. Weaver is the head coach for varsity football and Ms. Weaver used to be the head coach for sideline cheerleading.

“It’s crazy during football, especially when he’s never home, we have two small kids, we both work full-time, and we never get sleep, but it’s good crazy, not bad crazy,” Mrs. Weaver said. “The fact that I was the cheerleading coach and he’s the football coach, it was just too cliché, but nice since we were both busy at the same time and both free at the same time.” According to Mr. Weaver, “I thought it was kind of corny.”

Even with their busy lives and school commitments, the Weavers make time for each other. One thing they do is find time to focus on each other.

“The opening week for football season we always have date night because we don’t have time during the season. This is so sad. We usually go to dinner and a movie,” Mrs. Weaver said. “We probably won’t be in the same place until Christmas.”

Math teacher Ms. Maggie Long has been friends with Mrs. Weaver since her first year and Hidden Valley, and has watched the romance between Mr. and Mrs. Weaver develop first-hand.

“I think Mr. and Mrs. Weaver are ideal for each other because I think they’re a good balance. They aren’t afraid to be themselves,” Ms. Long said. “When they first started dating, I didn’t think it was anything serious, but after a year I knew they were. I remember thinking they were a very cute couple, and I remember seeing them for the first time together at the homecoming dance.”

Ms. Long has watched them grow together as parents and as a family.

“Mrs. Weaver is one of my closest friends. She is always there to support me,” Mrs. Long said. “Mr. Weaver is an excellent father. It’s awesome how close he is with his kids.”

The Weavers are still making memories together, both in and out of school. They both have favorite memories of their early years together.

“Our first year we were dating, we went to the Sugar Bowl to see Virginia Tech play. That is my favorite memory,” Mrs. Weaver said. According to Mr. Weaver, “My favorite memory is the days our children were born.”

Hidden Valley has its own blue and gold love story, and the home of the Weavers takes school spirit to a whole new level.

Mrs. Weaver said, “We have enough blue and gold to fill the White House. We don’t own anything that doesn’t have blue and gold on it other than my purple Kendall Bayne shirt.” Mr. Weaver said, “I would say two-thirds of my closet is Titans football stuff.”

Comments

17 Responses to “A Hidden Valley love story”

1. Debbie Newman on October 27th, 2011 4:43 pm

so cute…..love the story

[Reply]

2. Lauren Puckett on October 28th, 2011 12:34 pm

Since i did have both Mrs. and Mr. Weaver, i think it is very interesting to found out how the actually met. I really enjoyed having both of them as teachers. They were both very laid back, and fun to have as a teacher. As said in the article they are both very athletic, outgoing, and not afraid to speak their mind. These are just some of the reasons that make them perfect for eachother. They really are a true “Hidden Valley love story” in the making.

[Reply]

3. Sheldon Ekirch on October 28th, 2011 12:36 pm

This is adorable! It reallyl is like a love story. I think it’s neat how their students encouraged them to date at first and eventually they got married. All the background information really layed out a perfect story.

[Reply]

4. Christie on October 28th, 2011 12:40 pm

Such a sweet story

[Reply]

5. Kara Williams on October 28th, 2011 2:37 pm

This is such a cute article! I think this love story is adorable and it seems like it should be in a movie or something. I love that their students set them up, it makes it so much better!

[Reply]

6. Kelsey Tibbs on November 4th, 2011 8:41 am

This is a really cute story. I think it’s kind of ironic that their students tried to set them up together, and then they ended up getting married. They are a really cute couple.

[Reply]

7. Stephanie Sarver on November 4th, 2011 8:42 am

This was such a cute story. it inspires me to find my own love story when i grow up. I always knew there was a story to their relationship and now everyone knows.

[Reply]

8. Emma Barker on November 4th, 2011 8:45 am

I think it’s really cute that they met at school. And it’s cool to know the story between two of your teachers. It makes for a perfect love story

[Reply]

9. lameka sanders on November 4th, 2011 11:55 am

aww i like it i never seen something like this

[Reply]

10. Ryanne Horton on November 4th, 2011 2:06 pm

I have never had these teachers but this story is so cute and interesting. I like the cliche of the football coach and the cheerleading coach falling in love.

[Reply]

11. Elise on November 4th, 2011 2:10 pm

I think that’s probably one of the cutest things I’ve ever heard. It’s so cliche, but in the best way. Their love really does inspire this school and a lot of the students, especially the fact that they’re still together when they have such hectic schedules. It really gives all of us a new perspective on how hard our teachers work and how much they sacrifice for us, and it definitely proves that love conquers all. Toooooo sweeet :)

[Reply]

12. Ava Marrano on November 4th, 2011 2:11 pm

This is such a cute love story, and they are so good for each other. I liked their story about how they met at school and it progressed from there. I enjoyed reading about how their students tried to set them up, because in the end they actually did get married.

[Reply]

13. Elise Poffenberger on November 4th, 2011 2:13 pm

This is a such a beautiful fairytale. I really enjoyed this article because I find it interesting to read about how people meet and fall in love. With the help of mutual students, they statted to date and eventually got married. I think it’s adorable that they see eachother in the hall and don’t talk.

[Reply]

14. Elizabeth Klussman on November 4th, 2011 2:20 pm

I think this is so cute. I’m glad that I finally get to know the story behind The Weavers. They are so cute together!

[Reply]

15. Kevin Silberblatt on November 4th, 2011 2:21 pm

Aww that is so cute! Mrs. Weaver is a great teacher too!

[Reply]

16. Callie Gregg on March 6th, 2012 9:47 am

This is a really CUTE article!! Love me some Mr and Mrs!

[Reply]

17. Tamia on February 12th, 2014 12:34 pm

This article is by far the best/cutest thing I have read ! Knowing that two teachers went through college without speaking to each other… now to married and two kids, is the love story of the century. With the help of their students it seems as if none of this would have happened!
    :)

[Reply]

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!