Editorial: Teens find bizarre, dangerous ways to get drunk

Ashley Curtis, Editor-in-Chief
February 14, 2012
Filed under Opinion

I recently found out about some bizarre new ways teens are getting alcohol into their systems. The ones that stuck out the most to me are the highly graphic methods that have been hot topics in national and local news. These include using vodka-soaked tampons and using beer bongs rectally.

I did research and found out that far from untrue, these methods are being implemented by young adults – both males and females – across the nation, and causing dangerous health issues. According to a Phoenix CBS news article, this trend was tipped off by reported cases of alcohol poisoning caused by people “utilizing” these methods.

Even though I’ve never heard of anyone I know using these methods, it is shocking and frustrating to hear that teens across the US have. My biggest question, after my initial reaction of shock and disgust, was why?

I tried to find a possible explanation as to why some teens need to get drunk so quickly that they skip drinking or even chugging and find ways to get alcohol into their bloodstream in the least amount of time possible.

Perhaps it’s because our generation seems to want everything in the moment – our smart phones access information literally in a matter of seconds, not to mention the constant feed of information we get simply by logging onto Facebook or Twitter. This raises another question: has our need to have information instantly in our hands trickled down into our drinking habits? Do modern teens need to be instantly drunk? The idea is scary.

The reason that the CBS article gave for why teens do this is so that the smell of alcohol can’t be detected on their breath. To me, this is not a good enough excuse to put oneself at such risk.

The reason? Not only will the alcohol damage the body tissues, but drinkers run the risk of blacking out with less warning. When a person drinks, the alcohol passes through the stomach acid and causes “the tell tale sign” that they’ve had too much – vomiting. People who insert alcohol directly into the blood stream don’t have this warning. The article explains that by using methods like vodka (or any other liquor, for that matter) soaked tampons, the alcohol “gets absorbed directly into the bloodstream. There’s no barrier, there’s no stomach acid to prevent it.”

Part of me is still shocked and unable to believe that this is all true. However, this is my advice to my peers: enjoy the end of high school and college – but be smart. Don’t be remembered forever for doing something stupid that put your life at risk.

Comments

31 Responses to “Editorial: Teens find bizarre, dangerous ways to get drunk”

1. jacob on February 15th, 2012 2:10 pm

That is weird that people would do that just to get drunk.

[Reply]

2. Tyler on March 2nd, 2012 1:08 pm

That’s just wrong man. Just wrong and stupid…..o yea and really gross

[Reply]

3. Justin on March 2nd, 2012 1:08 pm

This is a great and informative article. I knew that teens were drinking alcohol, but I had no idea they were doing all this to get drunk. It’s almost more dangerous than just drinking!

[Reply]

4. Chase on March 2nd, 2012 1:11 pm

I find this rather disturbing…

[Reply]

5. Sandy P on March 2nd, 2012 1:18 pm

i think its just sad that they are that desparate to get drunk. i pray for the ones who are this desparate to do it

[Reply]

6. Christopher on March 2nd, 2012 1:22 pm

I don’t see why people would want to get drunk at this age anyway, especially in those ways. I think it is just wrong to get drunk in general as a teen yet alone some of the teens are doing these days. People need to look at the consequences before they drink, even as an adult.

[Reply]

7. Richie Elliott on March 2nd, 2012 3:10 pm

them kids be cray cray

[Reply]

8. Austin long on March 2nd, 2012 3:23 pm

Wow i never knew that people where doing stuff like this thanks for the info. I really thought kids knew better than do things like this kids really need to learn. I hope kids at our school dont do these things. I know i never will.

[Reply]

9. Ann on March 2nd, 2012 3:32 pm

I agree, I think it is gross that teenagers would even think to get drunk this way. I also think it’s dangerous for anyone to do, no matter what age.

[Reply]

10. Meagan on March 6th, 2012 9:42 am

I think it is stupid that teens feel they have to go through so much trouble to get drunk.

[Reply]

11. Chelsi on March 6th, 2012 9:42 am

Honestly, people have been doing this since alcohol was invented. People are simply coming up with craftier ways to get drunk.

[Reply]

12. Summer on March 6th, 2012 9:43 am

This is repulsing. It seems like this would painful, and extremely harmful to the body.

[Reply]

13. Chelsi on March 6th, 2012 9:44 am

Honestly, this has been happening since alcolhol was invented. People are simply coming up with craftier ways to get drunk really fast.

[Reply]

14. Lauren on March 6th, 2012 9:46 am

Our generation has nothing to do with what methods kids are using with alcohol. Those methods have been around for so long, and our generation is just now in the scene of discovering things. That’s life.

[Reply]

15. tk on March 6th, 2012 11:42 am

That is one of the weirdest things I’ve ever heard of. I didn’t even think that people actually did this to get drunk.

[Reply]

16. Morgan on March 6th, 2012 11:42 am

That is gross! People are crazy!

[Reply]

17. Jessica on March 6th, 2012 11:45 am

I think that this is really gross. I don’t think that it is worth putting your health at risk just to get drunk.

[Reply]

18. Grayson on March 6th, 2012 11:46 am

It’s sad to see teenagers going to these lengths to get drunk. We should do more about this.

[Reply]

19. Joseph Abbatello on March 6th, 2012 11:49 am

This is really weird and gross, why would people do this ;)

[Reply]

20. Adnan on March 6th, 2012 11:49 am

Surely these methods have got to be painful. I just cant believe that students would put themselves through so much pain in order to do something that could potentially get them in trouble.

[Reply]

21. Nusreta on March 6th, 2012 11:51 am

It is shocking to me that teenagers like me and you would go to such extreme measures just to get intoxicated. I do not know why anyone would take the risk while knowing the possible outcomes.

[Reply]

22. Jacob on March 6th, 2012 11:52 am

Well to be honest i think thats purtty nasty and i dont want to learn about these “techniques” in school.

[Reply]

23. Murray Meyer on March 6th, 2012 11:53 am

I think its really wierd and gross that people would go that far to get drunk faster, Very gross..

[Reply]

24. Ice Cube on March 6th, 2012 11:55 am

Check yo self, before you wreck yo self

Peace

[Reply]

25. Troy on March 6th, 2012 12:02 pm

Well to be honest, its clever but quite disturbing. This shows that some teenagers have issues they really to work out.

[Reply]

26. Emily on March 6th, 2012 12:20 pm

I agree that this is unbelievable. It is also weird too. These people don’t drink for the taste, they drink for the alcohol.

[Reply]

27. Blessing Smith on March 6th, 2012 1:37 pm

I don’t know why someone would want to do that to themselves, but OK. Someone who does these things obviously don’t know what they are doing and don’t realize the consequences of their actions. Hopefully this will stop and teens will realize that what they are doing isn’t safe. It’s not only hurting them and our generation but it’s also affects the genearation that comes after us.

[Reply]

28. Sydney Hearst on March 6th, 2012 1:41 pm

I think it’s really pathetic that anyone would use those kinds of method to get drunk. It just seems like a desperate cry for attention, not to mention a cry for serious medical issues.

[Reply]

29. Amber on March 6th, 2012 2:04 pm

I agree with the “why” question. There aren’t even any reasonable explanations, that I can think of, as to why someone would do these kinds of things.

[Reply]

30. Austin Childress on March 23rd, 2012 8:50 am

This is pretty crazy. i don’t understand why teens would do that just to get drunk quicker. There is plunty of time to get drunk, and if you are going to, just be smart and drink normally, but in safe amounts

[Reply]

31. John Tran on March 23rd, 2012 2:01 pm

Vodka-soaked tampons?! Never even heard of that one before…

[Reply]

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!