Trump’s new policies

Trump began his presidency by issuing eighteen executive orders in his first twelve days.

Fiona Miller, Staff Reporter

As of January 20, 2017, the United States of America had a new president. Republican Donald J. Trump promised change to millions of Americans, but entered office among cries of protest from liberals, moderates, and even fellow party members. In the past few weeks, Trump has jumped right into work- he issued eighteen executive orders in the first twelve days. Among the array of executive orders, three stood out for their polarizing, controversial content. The executive orders address topics such as immigration policies, Obamacare, and the infamous US-Mexico border wall.

Trump’s most controversial order was dubbed the “Muslim Ban.” This immigration order suspended the whole US refugee admissions system for 120 days and banned entry from seven majority-Muslim countries for 90 days. All Syrian refugees are indefinitely affected; while the rigorous vetting takes eighteen to twenty-four months, the Syrian refugee program was suspended indefinitely to protect America from potential terrorist attacks. According to The Guardian, all people from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen were banned from entering the United States for 90 days.

For the first 36 hours, some legal residents were denied entry into the United States. The protocol since then has allowed residents entry into the United States on a case-by-case basis. Angered at the new immigration policies, protestors gathered at international airports in the nation’s biggest cities, including New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Dallas, Boston, and near Washington, D.C. Because of the public’s reaction, this immigration ban is under review by multiple courts. The states of Washington and Minnesota successfully challenged Trump’s executive order, and a judge in Washington blocked the ban and allowed immigration to resume.

Trump’s campaign ran on the promise to “build a great, great wall.” This promise was somewhat fulfilled with Trump’s executive order addressing the US-Mexico border. Trump’s border wall will be 1,600 kilometers long, between the United States and Mexico. This executive order also increases the border patrol force. According to CNN¸the wall is estimated to cost between twelve and fifteen billion dollars.

Donald Trump has insisted that Mexico will pay for the wall, and repeated this throughout his campaign. However, Mexico’s President, Enrique Peña Nieto, has said that Mexico will not. This multi-country standoff has left America guessing about what will come. Trump has mentioned that tariffs on Mexican products could be put into effect as a way to pay for the wall.

“Obamacare is a complete and total disaster,” Trump exclaimed throughout the election. A cornerstone for Trump’s campaign, he ran on his dislike of the Affordable Care Act. As President, one of Trump’s first executive actions was to dismantle it. His executive order regarding Obamacare directed the government to “ease the regulatory burdens” and “waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation of any provision or requirement of Obamacare that imposes a fiscal burden,” according to an article by Fox News. This executive order just serves as a reminder to congressmen and senators that over the next four years, Trump is expecting the Affordable Care Act to be repealed and a new health system be put in place. Millions could lose healthcare if Obamacare is dismantled; the ACA has special provisions that provide healthcare to those who can’t afford it.

As of February 9th, 2017, Donald Trump has issued twenty-five executive orders. President Trump’s approval rating is at 42%, according to Gallup. However, many Republicans praise his new policies. Only time will tell if Trump can bounce back from these controversial policies and improve his reputation.

• Opinion

Coming to realizations: How I changed from freshman year to senior year

• Trump’s new policies

Student Life

Senioritis

• Trump’s new policies

Opinion

College concepts

• Trump’s new policies

Sports

Spring signings

• Trump’s new policies

Student Life

New friends, same school

• Trump’s new policies

Student Life

A lack of harvest

• Trump’s new policies

News

Wind energy on North Mountain

• Trump’s new policies

Opinion

Breaking valentine’s heart

• Trump’s new policies

News

The Trump effect

• Trump’s new policies

Sports

Sexual assault in college football

Trump’s new policies