Bullying can cause a life of traumatizing pain for students

Photo Credit: Cameron Stout

Bullied students can feel alone or experience add pressure to fit in at school.

Cameron Stout, Staff Reporter
November 12, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

Among the issues teens face, bullying has more effects than just throughout high school years. Student Assistance Program (SAP) coordinator Ms. Bonnie Rouke feels that not only can students be affected at school, they can feel the effects of bullying for the rest of their lives. “[It depends] on how long the bullying had gone on or what may have been said, or even whether it was dealt with or not. That’s why we really would like to know about it,” said Ms. Rouke. “We encourage students to not be bystanders and let it happen. The best way to prevent bullying is to get everybody out there and stop it.”

Being bullied can have drastic consequences. A good example is Amanda Todd, a Vancouver-area teenager who was cyber bullied according to The Huffington Post. This young girl was found dead in Coquitlam, Canada. She had committed suicide in an attempt to free herself of constant bullying.

Amanda Todd felt that people treated her differently, according to The Huffington Post, because of what happened to her in the past and how she sent a nude picture of herself to a stranger. “You would feel differently towards people, because you wouldn’t know how to act around that person. Especially depending on how you yourself were treated,” said Carly Broadwell (9) “things could dramatically change for you.”

“Two of the main reasons people are bullied in schools are because of appearances and social status,” according to experts at The Teens Health Association. The fight that happened two weeks ago is something that was widely discussed. “It was planned,” said Nick Francisco(10). “When I walked out, that’s when I went down and grabbed the other person. They were planning against my friend and I knew what I had to do. When the bully ran towards my friend, I grabbed him and threw him to the ground.”

According to Daily Inter Lake News, educating students about verbal, nonverbal and physical bullying could help in the process to prevent bullying. “We should have told someone. I should have definitely spoken up but I was stubborn,” said Nick,“What should have happened is that one of us should have told our teacher because we knew that it was being planned.”

“The more popular a middle –or- high school kid becomes central to the social network , the more aggressive behavior he/she engages in,” according to Time Magazine.  “It has to do with one-upmanship,” said Micheal Zelenak(10), “Being better or stronger than somebody else. And in order to do that you have to put another person under you.”

According to the NASP, when children receive negative messages or physical punishment at home, they tend to attack before being attacked.  “I believe that if someone is being mean to you then you are bound to be mean to someone else,” said Ashley Chang (9). “And if someone is nice to you then you’re bound to be nice to someone else.”

A new program is focused on diminishing bullying in schools. Bria Wooten (12) and Juliana Scialabba (12) are setting up a program where kids can share their experiences, without being identified. In English classes there is a box to share the experiences of students within the school.

Rachel’s Challenge, a program started by the family of Columbine victim Rachel Scott, is returning to the school. “Rachel had this goal,” said Bria, “that if everyone could be nice to someone, that it can start a chain reaction. And we want to bring that to our school, to bring that kindness to our environment,” she said.

Comments

18 Responses to “Bullying can cause a life of traumatizing pain for students”

1. Rachael Lee on November 21st, 2012 9:45 am

Bullying happens everywhere, whether it’s a small act or big one. It tugs on my heart the fact that people commit suicide just to get away from it.

[Reply]

2. Lisa on November 21st, 2012 9:52 am

in my opinion, high school kids really need some maturing to do. Most of them do not realize the harm they do to others by being mean to them either directly or indirectly. Most people have stories and lives that you have no idea about, their lfie at home could be awful. And then when they come to school and feel neglected as well, things just go downhill. So before you ever treat someone like they’re nothing, you should really think about what they could be going through at the moment. Bullying can be very harmful, and high school students need to mature and realize this before it is too late.

[Reply]

3. Lisa P. on November 26th, 2012 11:13 am

I think that people need to learn to be more accepting of others. People pick other people apart bit by bit until there’s nothing left of them. Bullying is continuing to happen everyday and schools need to focus on correcting certain students and their behaviors.

[Reply]

4. Rachel S. on November 26th, 2012 11:14 am

I really hate when people bully other people because of something they don’t like about them. Bullying is happening more and more and it needs to stop. It affects kids greatly and it is wrong.

[Reply]

5. Lauren Petrone on November 26th, 2012 11:21 am

Bullying has become a major problem because of the internet. People are able to ruin ones life without ever being identified. If the internet was not around then the bullying and suicide rate would be much lower.

[Reply]

6. komal on November 26th, 2012 11:29 am

bullying is a sad thing that happens everywhere, but can be stopped if we really wanted to stop it.

[Reply]

7. Ann Tirico on November 26th, 2012 11:30 am

I believe that bullying should be more of a concern in schools. I think there should be more programs that help prevent it and the idea of a program where kids can share their stories is great. Students should not feel like they have to keep their feelings bottled inside, instead they should have a safe place for them to tell what they’re feeling.

[Reply]

8. Liz Zeigler on November 26th, 2012 3:24 pm

I believe that the worst bullying is done without the bully even realizing it. Most people poke fun and make jokes and the victim will say it’s okay, but after a while, the insults get to you, and they start to have an impact on you. All this time the bully doesn’t realize that they’re hurting you, or saying they’re “just kidding.” The victims should stand up and reach out for help, because the adults they reach out to should do the right and responsible thing to fix what’s going on to help the victims of bullying.

[Reply]

9. Massi on November 26th, 2012 3:26 pm

I was bullied in Pre-School on a regular basis. It really hurt my self confidence and just overall felt unnecesary. I felt un-cool because all of the “cool” kids were the ones doing the bullying. So to fit in I joined in. I felt bad but was finally cool. Now I realize how other’s feel and regret this decision. I connect modern peoples’ experiences to that of mine and pre-k and am very sympathetic.

[Reply]

10. hanna podeschi on November 27th, 2012 1:02 pm

I think that people shouldnt feel like they have to put others down to feel bettter about themselves. Clearly if someone is bullying they are the one with the true problem and people shouldnt let these negative comments get to them. Also bullying should never get to a point were someone feels they have to take their own life to end it. I think rachels challenge is a great idea to start a chian reaction.

[Reply]

11. Morgan Grimm on November 27th, 2012 1:13 pm

Bullying is a major porblem, in schools and online. Here at Hidden Valley social status, money, and your appearance are very important g to people, a little too important I think. I think people spend too much time being mean or making fun of someone because not everyone is like them. People are different and some people need to realize that being mean isn’t going to change them. No one likes a bully and being mean isn’t cool or funny. Something needs to be done, we say we will change, but again, are too caught up with ourselves to actually make a change. No one should feel so sad or scared about going to school, or so hurt by someone to kill themselves, it’s not acceptable. We need to be kind to people, smile at someone you don’t know, it could make all the difference.

[Reply]

12. Haley Williams on November 27th, 2012 1:14 pm

I feel that high school can be really hard to go through if you have had experiences with bullying before. It’s sad to say, but there are many people around us that just don’t understand that being mean to people can turn into something really big and uncalled for. People say that they “don’t mean it” but, to the person that they said a mean thing to, it probably really hurt their feelings. Some people don’t think before they speak and that is what causes all theses problems. Hidden Valley has had many issues with this lately and it needs to come to a stop. People just need to learn to keep their comments to themselves and just be nice. There is no reason to be mean to someone just for what they wear or the way they talk. I think that FOR club is a great way for people to get involved and help put a stop to the bullying that goes on in our school everyday. We never know what is going on in someones lives and saying one little thing to someone that you wouldnt think would matter, could really hurt someones feelings or even ruin someones life in a way. Basically, people need to just think about how they act and what they say so that everyone can just live their lives without having to worry about bullying.

[Reply]

13. Holly on November 27th, 2012 1:26 pm

This article shows only a few examples of bullying that has occurred, and the outcomes. Bullying is something that has not just recently happened, but has occurred over multiple years, and continues to happen today. Now, due to the internet and all of the social networking sites, bullying is at an even greater risk, and can impact people in dramatic ways. As stated in the article, the only way bullying can come to a stop, is by people acting and taking a stand. Individuals should put themselves in someone else’s spot and see what that would feel like, or how it would feel to be in that kind of Situation. I believe Rachel’s challenge is a wonderful program and can help minimize bullying by starting a chain reaction and allow students to have respect for everybody.

[Reply]

14. Savannah on November 27th, 2012 1:39 pm

Bullying is a big problem in all schools. When someone is bullied it hurts their self confidence. Its really sad that people are willing to take their life to escape from it.

[Reply]

15. Brittany on November 27th, 2012 3:18 pm

Bullying has become a huge topic in the social media in the last couple of years. It not only happens to kids of all ages in school, but it aslo happens in the work force as an adult. I beleive some people are mean and take out their frustration on others, becuase they dont feel great about themeselves so they bully, and put other people down to make them feel greater about their self. When all reality it should make them feel horribel to even do such a thing. Becuase like in the comment above by: Lisa you never know what a person is going through outside of school or their job. It’s become a sad society to see on the news, or read an article of a person taking their own life just to escape the harsh reality they are faced with everyday.

[Reply]

16. Lexie on November 27th, 2012 3:19 pm

No matter where you go bullying will occur. People strive on putting others down to make themselves feel more important and good. It makes no sense how someone could hurt another person to boost there confidence. Bullying is not only something in school, it happens everywhere. In other words it can be called abuse. People do it in many ways, emotional, physically and so on. People just need to realize that everyone has feelings no matter who you are, and do unto others as you would have them do unto you. That’s all.

[Reply]

17. Skylar on November 27th, 2012 3:22 pm

everyone needs to realize that people are different, and we don’t live in a perfect world. we all have flaws. so the next time you are rude to someone, just remember that they could be going through something that you had no idea about, because trust me, almost everyone could tell their own story of being bullied.

[Reply]

18. Jordan on December 19th, 2012 3:07 pm

Mental bullying is the worst thing that could happen to a kid. Physical bullying hurts, yes, but those scars will heal. Mental bullying can leave marks that never fully go away. As much as we would like to say that it’s not a huge problem here at HV, that’s not the case. Our school needs to work on squashing bullying for good.

[Reply]

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!