New cell phone policy gives more freedom

DSCN0027-final

Photo Credit: Emily Bishop

Texting during lunch, Brian Allen (12) and Joey Coy (12) no longer have to hide their phones under the table.

Emily Bishop, Features Editor
November 17, 2011
Filed under News

Students spend seven hours day at school during the week. During those seven hours, rules are set, and students are expected to follow them. Over the past couple of years, the increase in technology has become more of a distraction during the school days, like the use of laptops, and cell phones.

This year, Hidden Valley High School, along with the four other schools in the county are easing rules on cell phones during the school day. “The 5 high school principals requested change with phones because time is changing, and we’re fighting a battle that we’re never going to win,” said Principal Mrs. Rhonda Stegall.

The rule states that students are now allowed to use their cell phones before school, after school, and during lunches, even though students have always been allowed to use phones before and after school hours.

With this new responsibility, nothing is set in stone just yet. Right now the situation and cell phone use is being monitored, so the technical term is a pilot program. “As long as we don’t have any major discipline issues, the school board will make it official, and more than likely cell phone use in the hallway will be allowed,” said Mrs. Stegall.

“Being able to use our phones in lunch is helpful, like yesterday I had to talk to my mom about what I was doing after school because I hadn’t asked her yet,” said Joseph Bolinger (11).

To some students, being able to use phones during lunch doesn’t make any sense. “I think it’s really pointless to be able to use our phones during lunch, because if we’re allowed to be using them, we’re just texting people in other classes inside the school, and if you’re in the same lunch you can just go up and talk to them,” said Annika Gepitulan (9).

As long as the program continues smoothly, the policy will stay in place.

“We’ve had no incidents using phones for cheating or anything like that, and we’ve had no reason for us to believe we could not give students more use of phones,” said Mrs. Stegall. “There has been nothing to indicate students can’t handle that responsibility.”

Comments

22 Responses to “New cell phone policy gives more freedom”

1. Aatik Pancholi on March 2nd, 2012 1:02 pm

I feel this rule is extremely pointless. what is the point of using your cellphone in the cafeteria when you are with all your friends. Plus the service is pretty bad.

[Reply]

2. Eric on March 2nd, 2012 1:12 pm

I think its a great idea that we can use cell phones during lunch. Especially if you have to call some one for an emergency.

[Reply]

3. Lisa Huang on March 2nd, 2012 3:08 pm

i completely agree with this article. Using cell phones before school, after school , between classes and during lunches shouldn’t be an issue. We are all responsible high schoolers and in my opinion, i believe that we could handle it. As lon as everyone uses these electronic devices when it is allowed, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

[Reply]

4. Richie Elliott on March 2nd, 2012 3:15 pm

i like the new rule!

[Reply]

5. Skylar on March 2nd, 2012 3:18 pm

I think that we should be able to use our cell phones in class if its not interrupting the teacher as well as the students. just keep it on silent and your good to go.

[Reply]

6. Chase O'Bryan on March 2nd, 2012 3:25 pm

ITs good that they are trying to give us more time with our phones but 30 extra minute a day isnt that much and people will probably still use them in class. Thats the truth.

[Reply]

7. Jordan (wait what'd you say) Parke on March 6th, 2012 9:47 am

Joey Coy is in the picture! woaaahhhh!

[Reply]

8. chris moses on March 6th, 2012 9:48 am

i think the new cellphone policy is awesome

[Reply]

9. Daniel Neighbors on March 6th, 2012 9:53 am

Good article. I enjoy the new cell phone policy and being able to use my phone during school.

[Reply]

10. Callie Gregg on March 6th, 2012 9:54 am

I love the new policy! It’s AWESOME!!

[Reply]

11. Becca Blankenship on March 6th, 2012 10:26 am

I like the new policy! We don’t have to hide our phone anymore during lunch.

[Reply]

12. Lexi Egnor . on March 6th, 2012 10:44 am

This article was really well written, but basically everyone uses their phones all of the time anyways. The new rules just established that we wouldnt get in trouble doing what we alreay do. It was toughtful though (:

[Reply]

13. Asia White on March 6th, 2012 10:47 am

I think the new cell phone policy is way better than the old one. This one is more lenient to cell phone usage and I think sudents apreciate the consideration. I feel that the change will lead to less disciplinary problems with students.

[Reply]

14. Owen on March 6th, 2012 11:45 am

It’s pretty cool that we can use cell phones more. Many students appreciate that.

[Reply]

15. Jessica on March 6th, 2012 11:55 am

I think that this is a good idea. I also think that students should be allowed to use their cell phones during school.

[Reply]

16. Ryan on March 6th, 2012 12:08 pm

I think this a a great policy. Students should be allowed use their phones at some point in time during the school day.

[Reply]

17. Ryan on March 6th, 2012 12:08 pm

I think it’s a great policy. Students should be allowed to use their cell phones at some point in time during the day.

[Reply]

18. Troy on March 6th, 2012 12:12 pm

I really do like this new policy. it allows us to be more social with more people at once.

[Reply]

19. Logan Richards on March 6th, 2012 1:31 pm

The new rule allows students to contact their parents faster in case of an emergancy. much more efficient than contacting them through the office phone.

[Reply]

20. Jacob on March 6th, 2012 1:39 pm

1st one to comment!!!

[Reply]

21. Danielle on March 6th, 2012 2:11 pm

it is extremely helpful for us to be able to use our cellphones in lunch for several reasons. There have been plenty of times when i needed to talk to my mom and that was perfect. And I hope that they will soon let us use our phones in the halls. :)

[Reply]

22. Jackie on April 27th, 2012 2:40 pm

I have always hated this rule. I love my phone, my laptop, my Kindle. They’re really is not point in banning them anywhere but in the classroom. We all rely on technology and need it. I can’t count the number of times I’ve called my mom afterschool so I can stay at my friend’s house afterschool, because I couldn’t in school. Now that I can, my mom won’t be so mad at me because I call her so last minute.

[Reply]

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!