New cell phone policy gives more freedom

Emily Bishop

Texting during lunch, Brian Allen (12) and Joey Coy (12) no longer have to hide their phones under the table.

Emily Bishop, Features Editor

Students spend seven hours day at school during the week. During those seven hours, rules are set, and students are expected to follow them. Over the past couple of years, the increase in technology has become more of a distraction during the school days, like the use of laptops, and cell phones.

This year, Hidden Valley High School, along with the four other schools in the county are easing rules on cell phones during the school day. “The 5 high school principals requested change with phones because time is changing, and we’re fighting a battle that we’re never going to win,” said Principal Mrs. Rhonda Stegall.

The rule states that students are now allowed to use their cell phones before school, after school, and during lunches, even though students have always been allowed to use phones before and after school hours.

With this new responsibility, nothing is set in stone just yet. Right now the situation and cell phone use is being monitored, so the technical term is a pilot program. “As long as we don’t have any major discipline issues, the school board will make it official, and more than likely cell phone use in the hallway will be allowed,” said Mrs. Stegall.

“Being able to use our phones in lunch is helpful, like yesterday I had to talk to my mom about what I was doing after school because I hadn’t asked her yet,” said Joseph Bolinger (11).

To some students, being able to use phones during lunch doesn’t make any sense. “I think it’s really pointless to be able to use our phones during lunch, because if we’re allowed to be using them, we’re just texting people in other classes inside the school, and if you’re in the same lunch you can just go up and talk to them,” said Annika Gepitulan (9).

As long as the program continues smoothly, the policy will stay in place.

“We’ve had no incidents using phones for cheating or anything like that, and we’ve had no reason for us to believe we could not give students more use of phones,” said Mrs. Stegall. “There has been nothing to indicate students can’t handle that responsibility.”